combination meter socket and disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I will be moving the service to a new location on the side of the house. I will need to install over current protection and disconnect between the new meter and panel.

I am located in Northern Virginia. I notice around here that this is done with a POCO provided meter and a separate disconnect installed beside the meter. This seems like a messy installation. Is there any reason why I cannot use a combination meter/disconnect? If so, what is available for a 150 amp service?

iwire

Staff member
. This seems like a messy installation. Is there any reason why I cannot use a combination meter/disconnect? If so, what is available for a 150 amp service?

You will have to ask the power company. They may not accept a meter main combination.

In my area we have to purchase the meter socket but it has to be one that is approved by the local utility.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yeah, contact the power company they usually can supply you with a list of meterbase and or combos that they will accept.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
photo

photo

I just wanted to avoid an installation like this!

Attachments

• two disconnects.jpg
    two disconnects.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1

peter d

That is a particularly ugly example, it can be done neater. :D

The power companies can be particular about what you use for a socket so you best call them before you purchase.

In my experience, if it holds a meter, National Grid will approve it at least as far as resi stuff goes. In fact I doubt they even check if the meter socket you use is on their list. They are very strict about lever bypass rules, however.

iwire

Staff member
In my experience, if it holds a meter, National Grid will approve it at least as far as resi stuff goes. In fact I doubt they even check if the meter socket you use is on their list. They are very strict about lever bypass rules, however.

So they do care what you use.

Basically the list they approve is long, but do you think the OP should not check before buying?

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
So they do care what you use.

Basically the list they approve is long, but do you think the OP should not check before buying?

My part of Va. POCO is AEP.
Last time I got a meter (and it has been awhile) Had to get a customer requests service number from them and take it to Lowes who gave me the meter base.
No CRS number, no meter.
So, you really should see what POCO's procedures are.

jumper

If you are Dominion VA you need to look at their Blue Book.

Basically it says that if you not wish to use their company provided free meter base you must contact them for a suitable alternative which they must approve and the cost will be on you. They do not provide combo units.

Note: I have never found them to like not using their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.