this sounds tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am on a job that the total length of the pull is 600' with a pull box at 300'. The contractor is pulling (3) 2/0 and one #2 in a two inch PVC. The conduit fill is OK per NEC. But the to pull will be really hard. (IMO) He is not willing to listen and increase the size to minimum 3"

I have not done a pull this long but just reading on this forum I know it will be a tough pull.

Is there a pull calculator that will show some numbers. Maybe I can convince him if he sees the numbers on the calculator. Then again I am thinking let him do it it is not any of my business.

iwire

Staff member
For the most part the wire either fits or it does not. If it fits the puller will pull it in.

I am assuming it is an otherwise code compliant installation. I would be fine with 2".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there a pull calculator that will show some numbers. Maybe I can convince him if he sees the numbers on the calculator. Then again I am thinking let him do it it is not any of my business.
I have not seen any pulling calculation that would show a change in the required pulling tension based on the size of the conduit.
There can be issues for sidewall pressure that are based on the radius of the bends, but that does not change the pulling tension.

kwired

Electron manager
how many bends in the run? straight run with no bends, though it will be some work, is probably doable just hand pulling with a couple guys on each end. Put 4 90 degree bends in there and you are very likely looking at wanting mechanical methods of pulling it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am on a job that the total length of the pull is 600' with a pull box at 300'. The contractor is pulling (3) 2/0 and one #2 in a two inch PVC. The conduit fill is OK per NEC. But the to pull will be really hard. (IMO) He is not willing to listen and increase the size to minimum 3"
I don't blame him. Even with bends to pull through I would be fine with 2".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Even with a few 90° bends between the pull points it shouldn't be too difficult to make two 300' pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.