User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Equipment grounding conductor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equipment grounding conductor

I have gas station dispenser sump sensor cable Veeder Root cable 1-#12, Dispenser Intercom cable 2-#14 and emergency system shutdown button article 514.11 cable 2-#14.

My question is does NEC 2014 Article 514 require equipment grounding conductor for any of them?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    I have gas station dispenser sump sensor cable Veeder Root cable 1-#12, Dispenser Intercom cable 2-#14 and emergency system shutdown button article 514.11 cable 2-#14.

My question is does NEC 2014 Article 514 require equipment grounding conductor for any of them?

Any input from code expert is really appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as both end points (equipment) are themselves properly grounded, I don't believe the LV wiring requires separate EGCs run with them.

Be patient if you want an expert opinion; mine is not.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to 250.100 you would not need an equipment grounding conductors of the wire type, but you still must bond by one of the methods specified in 250.92(B)(2) through (B)(4).

I am not a code expert.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to take a look at art 504.....30......50

~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all the code section I am still lost. Ok lets take a look at three items:

1. The emrgency stop button (E stop) is not installed in hazardous location. It is in line side of the panel that feeds dispenser data, power, communication and located right on outaide wall of store entrance non hazardous area. Is EGC required for this to be brought? If yes then should it be disconnected?

2. Sump pump sensor cable, I would imagine would go from non hazardous location to hazadrous class 1 location load side of service disco. However, NEC 2014 Article 514.16 says shall comply per 501.30. I am lost by the language 501.30(A) says to in bonding jumpers but i am lost 501.30(A) apply in service disconnect only? And what size bonding jumper? Or 504.50(A) apply but then 514.16 does not refer back to 504.50 at all?????? Just confusing.

3. Dispensor intercom cable would also imagine go from non hazardous location to hazardous location. Same question is #2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, the steps would be 514.16 which references 501.30 for ALL metal raceways.
    501.30 requires bonding by means other than double locknuts or locknut bushing and when flex is involved you need a bond jumper.
    Unless you are dealing with hubs or some approved grounding path other than lock-nut , I would think an equipment groinding conductor would be necessary.

(A non-expert opinion)

edited to note locknut is not aceptable
    Last edited by augie47; 06-22-19 at 01:34 PM.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no code expert, but I've done more gas stations than most.

You are talking about 3 different conduits.

Power and dispenser communication are in one conduit. Intercom is not a class 1 circuit and needs to be in a separate conduit. The V/R wiring is intrinsically safe and needs to be in it's own conduit. Lately I think a 4th conduit is being installed for Ethernet connection for video (commercials) at the dispenser.

No question, an EGC is required in the power conduit. Typically we did not pull a ground conductor even when using PVC in the intercom, V/R, or Ethernet conduit. I have not been busted for not having that ground pulled. It has bee at least a decade since I've done a gas station.

I think I'm probably zero help to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. The emrgency stop button (E stop) per NEC 514.11 is not installed in hazardous location. It is in line side of the panel that feeds dispenser data, power, communication and located right on outaide wall of store entrance non hazardous area. Is EGC required for this to be brought? If yes then should it be disconnected?

2. Sump pump sensor cable, I would imagine would go from non hazardous location to hazadrous class 1 location load side of service disco. However, NEC 2014 Article 514.16 says shall comply per 501.30. I am lost by the language 501.30(A) says to in bonding jumpers but i am lost 501.30(A) apply in service disconnect only? And what size bonding jumper? Or 504.50(A) apply but then 514.16 does not refer back to 504.50 at all?????? Just confusing.

3. Dispensor intercom cable would also imagine go from non hazardous location to hazardous location. Same question is #2.

I suppose is their 514 code expert or anyone experenced in gas station install who can assist? Input is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. The emrgency stop button (E stop) is not installed in hazardous location. It is in line side of the panel that feeds dispenser data, power, communication and located right on outaide wall of store entrance non hazardous area. Is EGC required for this to be brought?
    Yes
    If yes then should it be disconnected?
    No

I read that section to mean that I cannot use the double locknut method of bonding for any equipment in the Class 1 Division 1 location. I have to not depend on any double locknut bonding all the way back to the service equipment.