User Tag List

Thread: Fire Alarm voice evac In hotel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire Alarm voice evac In hotel

Has anybody had difficulty getting audibility and intelligibility voice evacuation system with one speaker in a typical size hotel room? We are concerned about meeting the standard in the bathroom with only one speaker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbarhd View Post
    Has anybody had difficulty getting audibility and intelligibility voice evacuation system with one speaker in a typical size hotel room? We are concerned about meeting the standard in the bathroom with only one speaker?
    With the product offerings available from all the major players you shouldn't have any issue getting intelligibility in a bathroom, unless you can't tap down to 1/8 watt. Anything higher is likely to create a nasty echo. For the main room, again, 1/8 watt should be plenty, and certainly not more than 1/4 watt. Unless we're talking about bathrooms with Olympic-sized jacuzzis, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbarhd View Post
    Are you talking about 1 speaker in the room being heard through the bathroom door? Without a separate speaker in the bathroom??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    Are you talking about 1 speaker in the room being heard through the bathroom door? Without a separate speaker in the bathroom??
    You know, I didn't read it that way. IFF that's the case, then you will definitely not meet the intelligibility requirements if the notification appliance is in the main room and the occupant is in the bathroom with the door closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you guys verify audibility/intelligibility requirement? Are you using software? tables? rule of thumb? scientific guess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.cherkashi View Post
    How do you guys verify audibility/intelligibility requirement? Are you using software? tables? rule of thumb? scientific guess?
    See Annex D for acceptable test methods. Most commonly, it's the AHJ walking around and saying "push it up in this area" or "a little too loud here". And that's fine by NFPA 72.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    See Annex D for acceptable test methods. Most commonly, it's the AHJ walking around and saying "push it up in this area" or "a little too loud here". And that's fine by NFPA 72.
    The method you're describing assuming you already have installed speakers and you're adjusting them in field. My question was for design phase, how to prevent additional work after project is finished if a speaker in adjacent room doesn't produce enough DB (or it's appear a door is thick and absorbing too much DB). I use rule of thumb: I assume a speaker is not required in small room/space if there already speaker in adjacent room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.cherkashi View Post
    The method you're describing assuming you already have installed speakers and you're adjusting them in field. My question was for design phase, how to prevent additional work after project is finished if a speaker in adjacent room doesn't produce enough DB (or it's appear a door is thick and absorbing too much DB). I use rule of thumb: I assume a speaker is not required in small room/space if there already speaker in adjacent room.
    If there is a door that can close between those spaces, you'll never meet the audibility/intelligibility requirements. On the other hand, NFPA 72 in Section 24.4.1.2.2.4 specifically exempts certain areas from having to have intelligible voice. Design accordingly.