Storage Container

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There is a storage container on a commercial site that needs a 20 amp 120V circuit for lighting to be installed in it.
It is a 50' metal rail car with a door cut in the side of it.

A 3/4" pvc conduit was installed between an exitsting metal building and the storage container. Roughly 50' between them.
There will not be any bonding between the existing metal building and the storage container other than the EGC that will be run with the single 120v circuit.

Is there any more bonding or grounding required at or between the storage container and the existing building ?
My thoughts are if the small EGC was somehow compromised between the 2, no return path would exist at all should a fault happen to occur.

JAP>

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is no different than a 600 amp 4 wire feeder to a warehouse, the EGC could be compromised. However the feeder requires a grounding electrode system, which will do nothing in the event of a line to case fault.
For your application, see 250.32(A) EX
You can always upsize the EGC, I would run 1" PVC with 8 AWG XHHW-2, or at least run 12 AWG XHHW-2, I have seen THHW/THWN fail in underground runs

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The pipes already installed.
It just brings up the importance of the EGC in a scenario like this.

JAP>

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This is no different than a 600 amp 4 wire feeder to a warehouse, the EGC could be compromised. However the feeder requires a grounding electrode system, which will do nothing in the event of a line to case fault.
You can always upsize the EGC, I would run 1" PVC with 8 AWG XHHW-2, or at least run 12 AWG XHHW-2, I have seen THHW/THWN fail in underground runs

even if there is just one circuit? :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is a storage container on a commercial site that needs a 20 amp 120V circuit for lighting to be installed in it.
It is a 50' metal rail car with a door cut in the side of it.

A 3/4" pvc conduit was installed between an exitsting metal building and the storage container. Roughly 50' between them.
There will not be any bonding between the existing metal building and the storage container other than the EGC that will be run with the single 120v circuit.

Is there any more bonding or grounding required at or between the storage container and the existing building ?
My thoughts are if the small EGC was somehow compromised between the 2, no return path would exist at all should a fault happen to occur.

JAP>

it seems fine to me.

people obsess way too much about grounding and bonding. the bare minimum installed correctly will likely work just fine.

something elaborate installed incorrectly may not work at all.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
it seems fine to me.

people obsess way too much about grounding and bonding. the bare minimum installed correctly will likely work just fine.

something elaborate installed incorrectly may not work at all.

Probably because grounding and bonding is the only thing keeping them upright and walking around. :)

JAP>

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Probably because grounding and bonding is the only thing keeping them upright and walking around. :)

JAP>

They should learn to do it correctly instead of taking elaborate measures that may not work at all.

I am not opposed to people making sure it is done correctly.

But there is no point in doing something crazy trying to make it "better" and ending up with something that may not work at all.

An example in this case would be to add ground rods. Serves no real purpose and does not add any measure of safety.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
They should learn to do it correctly instead of taking elaborate measures that may not work at all.

I am not opposed to people making sure it is done correctly.

But there is no point in doing something crazy trying to make it "better" and ending up with something that may not work at all.

An example in this case would be to add ground rods. Serves no real purpose and does not add any measure of safety.

I agree with that.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I was more inquiring if a grounding electrode system needed to be established at the container, seeing as how its a separate structure, if there was only (1) 120v circuit pulled to it.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician

That 250.32 (a) EX is what I was looking for.

Thanks,
JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
250.38 indicates that snap switches, 3 ways or 4 ways shall be permitted as the disconnecting means in a residential garage or outbuilding, although I don't see how a 3 way or 4 way actually disconnects the power.

This storage container will have a 3 way switch at each end and is considered commercial so I take it that 3 ways will not satisfy the rule as a disconnect for the container as it would in a residential setting ?

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.