Neutral wire broken 120v circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

A neutral wire that is broken on a 120v circuit that is arching won't trip a standard breaker but it will with an AFCI correct? It's a series arc fault not a N to G fault.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A neutral wire that is broken on a 120v circuit that is arching won't trip a standard breaker but it will with an AFCI correct? It's a series arc fault not a N to G fault.
It is very unlikely to trip a standard breaker as the current will be limited by the load and the impedance of the arc to a value that would be below the rating of the breaker.

The intent is that an AFCI would clear that fault.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It is very unlikely to trip a standard breaker as the current will be limited by the load and the impedance of the arc to a value that would be below the rating of the breaker.

Intention is one thing, proof is another.

I wouldn't bet my life that an AFCI would trip during a series arc in the neutral conductor. I am pretty sure that the 'proof' that Eaton shows using their big arc making machine is not on the neutral.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

But the series arc detection of an AFCI will not even be active unless the arc current, which will be lower than the load current, is above the current threshold (~7A??)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Intention is one thing, proof is another.

I wouldn't bet my life that an AFCI would trip during a series arc in the neutral conductor. I am pretty sure that the 'proof' that Eaton shows using their big arc making machine is not on the neutral.
I said "intent" because I have not been convinced that a self sustaining arc can even exist at dwelling unit voltages.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But the series arc detection of an AFCI will not even be active unless the arc current, which will be lower than the load current, is above the current threshold (~7A??)
I think it is 5 amps for series arc detection and 75 amps for parallel arc detection.

JFletcher

I doubt it. Ive seen afci video of a 1500W heater made to arc (by touching/lifting ungrounded conductor from the receptacle it was plugged into) and the breaker never tripped.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I doubt it. Ive seen afci video of a 1500W heater made to arc (by touching/lifting ungrounded conductor from the receptacle it was plugged into) and the breaker never tripped.

I have actually done that. Granted, it was years ago before Michigan ditched the requirement for them, but I did the same experiment on the first AFCI breaker I ever saw. I could arc and spark all day through the portable heater as a load and the AFCI wouldn't trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.