GFCI on a shared neutral circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLB

I want to add GFCI receptacles to my daughters new "old" kitchen counter. The receptacles were wired with 3-wire, thus sharing a neutral. Three circuits serve the counter, so having multiple circuits is good. However, I can't use a shared neutral on a GFCI if I use the line in and load out method that I would normally use as the GGCI will not tolerate it. I was told I could use GFCI but would in effect need one at every point using only the line terminals. That would mean to me that I that both conductors and the one neutral would be on the line terminals and nothing on the load side. Two questions: is this a solution to not having GFCI at all? Will the entire receptacle be protected, both top and bottom of the duplex, knowing that nothing will be protected down the line by that particle receptacle. I will need four for the counter which I will do in order to provide safety.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.