Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Just got the prices in:
Cable £7,250. ($11,150)
Transformers £3,500. ($5,400)
MV/LV protection and metering £500. ($790)

Total £11,250 ($17,300) plus my cut.

Less than ½ the price of the supply company going OH.

The supply company cant go 11kv underground to a small transformer?

BTW, I think you did good :)

Tony S

They can go UG if you pay through the nose for it. £70K ($108K) for the last job I priced. That was ¼ the length.

The client doesn’t want ugly poles spoiling their view. It’s their money, it’s their choice. I just wish they made their damned minds up!

Totally off grid or grid connection, not decided. (Not practical)
PV arrays, not decided.
ASHP, not decided.
LPG, not decided.
Standby generator, not decided.

Thank god I’ll have nothing to do with this after the supply cubical secondary side. They’ll probably want that shifting 2Ft to the left!

I’ve a simple job next week, move two 1000KVA transformers 200Ft north.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They can go UG if you pay through the nose for it. £70K ($108K) for the last job I priced. That was ¼ the length.

The client doesn’t want ugly poles spoiling their view. It’s their money, it’s their choice. I just wish they made their damned minds up!

Totally off grid or grid connection, not decided. (Not practical)
PV arrays, not decided.
ASHP, not decided.
LPG, not decided.
Standby generator, not decided.

Thank god I’ll have nothing to do with this after the supply cubical secondary side. They’ll probably want that shifting 2Ft to the left!

I’ve a simple job next week, move two 1000KVA transformers 200Ft north.

I think you have the cheapest and most practical solution this far. And yes, shifting will happen, perhaps more then two feet :lol::rant:

Tony S

I think you have the cheapest and most practical solution this far. And yes, shifting will happen, perhaps more then two feet :lol::rant:

The 25KVA job is on hold as far as I’m concerned.

I’m being picked up later today to have a look at the two 1000KVA transformers.

From the photo’s it looks like I’ve 14 LV 500mm² PILC through joints and 2 11KV 95mm² PIAS to re-terminate. The contractor is pulling the cables so that’s their problem.

All I’m doing today is switching a transformer out of service for a short while so I can measure the actual cables in the terminal chambers. Then it’s a case of draw up a mammoth (expensive) shopping list.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The 25KVA job is on hold as far as I’m concerned.

I’m being picked up later today to have a look at the two 1000KVA transformers.

From the photo’s it looks like I’ve 14 LV 500mm² PILC through joints and 2 11KV 95mm² PIAS to re-terminate. The contractor is pulling the cables so that’s their problem.

All I’m doing today is switching a transformer out of service for a short while so I can measure the actual cables in the terminal chambers. Then it’s a case of draw up a mammoth (expensive) shopping list.

Sounds like fun, can I come? :D

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I thought all Brits were conversant with Imperial measurements. After all, you invented them.
Liberia, Myanmar and the United States are the only holdouts still using the British system of weights & measures. Even the Brits have abandoned the British system.
The electrical craft is lucky. Volts, Amps, Ohms, Watts & Hertz have been metric since Day One and there's never been a conflicting/confounding/confusing alternative system.

... The South African job was laid underground to remove the possibility of the copper being stolen from overhead lines. It’s a problem here, I don’t know about your side of the pond but in SA it’s a foregone conclusion it will go missing.
It's not quite a foregone conclusion but we do have some of that here in Detroit. Since South Africa has so many more unemployed qualified electricians, their copper thieves have a better safety record. Ours end up splashed across the news with some regularity.

... 600 volt cable, what is the L-G rating? IF such cable can survive on a corner grounded delta, then it must be rated 600 L-G allowing an #### volt L-L usage.
All three L-L voltages in a 600-volt corner-grounded delta circuit are 600 volts. For two of the three phases, the L-G and the L-L aren't just the same voltage; they're the same two terminals.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
All three L-L voltages in a 600-volt corner-grounded delta circuit are 600 volts. For two of the three phases, the L-G and the L-L aren't just the same voltage; they're the same two terminals.

Which always made me wonder why code would not just allow a 600/1000 volt Y system with standard 600 volt equipment. Yes the transformer is uncommon, but only because of the code. Where there is need there is production.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Liberia, Myanmar and the United States are the only holdouts still using the British system of weights & measures. Even the Brits have abandoned the British system.
The electrical craft is lucky. Volts, Amps, Ohms, Watts & Hertz have been metric since Day One and there's never been a conflicting/confounding/confusing alternative system.

I don't know enough about what was developed when, but the electrical units may or may not have been around before other "metric" units. The thing is they are all decimal based units of measurement, so if the electrical units were around before the metric system they simply got accepted by the metric system as is.

Time is one unit of measurement that has never had different base units of measurement. That may have to change someday if we ever travel through space on a regular basis as the units we use now are mostly based on natural phenomena of the earth.

JFletcher

I don't know enough about what was developed when, but the electrical units may or may not have been around before other "metric" units. The thing is they are all decimal based units of measurement, so if the electrical units were around before the metric system they simply got accepted by the metric system as is.

Time is one unit of measurement that has never had different base units of measurement. That may have to change someday if we ever travel through space on a regular basis as the units we use now are mostly based on natural phenomena of the earth.

We might see a manned mission to Mars in our lifetime. Even getting to the next-nearest star would take 20 years at 20% the speed of light, or ~75,000 years with our current technology. We've got a looong time to redefine time. ofc, if we could fold space, such a trip could happen nearly instantly.

kwired

Electron manager
Some of the other metric measurements I guess are also based on natural Earth conditions.

From what I recall - 1ml of water has a mass of 1g, and freezes at 0 C boils at 100C. 1ml is also 1 cubic centimeter I believe.

What is not considered is effects of earth gravity as well as the freezing and boiling points assume average atmosphere pressure at sea level.

Take that same water to another gravitational effect and atmosphere effects and mass is not supposed change, but volume weight and freezing/boiling points certainly can be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.