Multimeter for new IBEW apprentice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpoulton

A friend's boyfriend just started as an IBEW apprentice, and she asked me what might be a good trade-related gift for him. I suggested a great multimeter, but since she's not technically inclined I'll need to recommend a specific model for her to get. Price is not a very important factor. Around here, most union jobs are industrial or complex commercial projects - lots of motors, controls, manufacturing equipment, etc. I get the impression that a new apprentice doesn't get into the details of that stuff for over a year at least, but his first project that he just started on is re-tooling of a semiconductor fab so he'll be surrounded by it all from the start. Even if he doesn't use it right away, it seems to me that learning with great equipment can't hurt. So the question is, what DMM would you recommend for a new apprentice working on jobs like this? I thought of the Fluke 325, and then realized that the 376 iFlex is available for almost the same price since they came out with the new "FC" version. That seems like a great fit for most uses on the kind of jobsites he's likely to be on, but am I missing anything? I've always been on the management/supervision side of things so my idea of what a new electrician would really use could be way off.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
A friend's boyfriend just started as an IBEW apprentice, and she asked me what might be a good trade-related gift for him. I suggested a great multimeter, but since she's not technically inclined I'll need to recommend a specific model for her to get. Price is not a very important factor. Around here, most union jobs are industrial or complex commercial projects - lots of motors, controls, manufacturing equipment, etc. I get the impression that a new apprentice doesn't get into the details of that stuff for over a year at least, but his first project that he just started on is re-tooling of a semiconductor fab so he'll be surrounded by it all from the start. Even if he doesn't use it right away, it seems to me that learning with great equipment can't hurt. So the question is, what DMM would you recommend for a new apprentice working on jobs like this? I thought of the Fluke 325, and then realized that the 376 iFlex is available for almost the same price since they came out with the new "FC" version. That seems like a great fit for most uses on the kind of jobsites he's likely to be on, but am I missing anything? I've always been on the management/supervision side of things so my idea of what a new electrician would really use could be way off.

whoa.
not a good choice for first meter, and by definition, only meter.

better something he can stick in bags or bucket, that won't
die from the beating. i'd suggest a fluke 12, as i'm partial
to them, but they discontinued them, so if you look, you
can find new old stock on ebay. about $100 there.

you want something that gives good working voltages,
not a lab accuracy piece that will read static in the air.

mpoulton

whoa.
not a good choice for first meter, and by definition, only meter.

better something he can stick in bags or bucket, that won't
die from the beating. i'd suggest a fluke 12, as i'm partial
to them, but they discontinued them, so if you look, you
can find new old stock on ebay. about $100 there.

you want something that gives good working voltages,
not a lab accuracy piece that will read static in the air.

Interesting! I would have thought the 325 or 376 would be plenty durable enough for daily use on a jobsite. I have a 289 "lab accuracy piece" and even it seems at least as durable as my Klein and Ideal meters (I have an unreasonable collection of DMMs). I did notice that the 300 series doesn't have low-Z mode, so I'm sure it will show phantom voltages sometimes. I always figured that recognizing a real vs. phantom reading is just part of learning to use a DMM, since most still don't have low-Z.

I notice the first couple recommendations here are not for clamp-ons. Isn't that an important feature if you only have one meter?

JFletcher

I used a cheapy G-B meter for a long time. It has 3 functions; nc tester, voltage reading LEDS (24-600v), and continuity check. best thing is it auto-flips between modes, and has magnets to secure to panels. I can troubleshoot quite a few things with the limited functions.

FE427TP

You might check if it's an "allowed" tool. Some unions/agreements allow nothing beyond a Wiggy or equivalent to be supplied by the craftsman with the contractor supplying the more expensive testing tools.

My suggestion from the purchases I liked/got the most use of as an apprentice, 9/16 nut driver (hard to find here but so handy when needed) and the standard sizes of reversible ratcheting wrenches. 7/16", 9/16", 3/4". When I was doing a lot of trim I built one of these http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/i...riv/2-1-interchangeable-rapi-driv-screwdriver by cutting the end off a wobbly and welding a magnetic insert tip onto it and was very happy with it as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A word of caution. Some IBEW-local contractor agreements have an agreed upon tool list. Anything other than what is on the tool list, the contractor has to furnish. Some local's tool list include a meter, some do not. Best to check first.

Too slow! I see FE427TP posted while I was typing.

iwire

Staff member
A word of caution. Some IBEW-local contractor agreements have an agreed upon tool list. Anything other than what is on the tool list, the contractor has to furnish. Some local's tool list include a meter, some do not. Best to check first.

I was wondering about this.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Interesting! I would have thought the 325 or 376 would be plenty durable enough for daily use on a jobsite. I have a 289 "lab accuracy piece" and even it seems at least as durable as my Klein and Ideal meters (I have an unreasonable collection of DMMs). I did notice that the 300 series doesn't have low-Z mode, so I'm sure it will show phantom voltages sometimes. I always figured that recognizing a real vs. phantom reading is just part of learning to use a DMM, since most still don't have low-Z.

I notice the first couple recommendations here are not for clamp-ons. Isn't that an important feature if you only have one meter?

i've had the fluke 12 go off the scissor lift 30' to the floor, and not suffer for it,
but i've also been using fluke 12's since about 1992. i admit it. i like them.

fluke, before they came out with the "meter a week" upsell
strategy, actually set down to make a DMM that would replace the wiggy.
that was the fluke 12. shunt voltage reading, autoranging, will show
temporary opens or closes, and do min/max voltage. it'll even timestamp
the max min values, altho somewhat primitively.

it'll do everything a journeyman wireman needs done, except ampacity.
save something for him to buy his second year of apprenticeship. his
primary meter is also his primary safety tool. you want something
durable.

clamp ons are all fine, but will probably get the minion told to
"put that damn thing back in your car...."

and if the clamp on takes a header, they usually don't behave
well after that. best the clamp on is the second meter.

local 640 doesn't seem to have a tool list posted online.
i've not worked there since 1998, but they didn't have a
tool list then.

but when i showed up with a plasma cutter, exception was taken.
i was asked to please put that back in the car.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Amp clamp is not needed for a newbies first meter. Nobody stays with just one meter their whole career but simple and rugged are top features for a first meter. Another vote for the fluke t plus.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No apprentice should be in possession of a DMM that is better than those owned by the J-men he is working with...
It's likely to grow legs or throw itself under a fork lift wheel.

:angel:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No apprentice should be in possession of a DMM that is better than those owned by the J-men he is working with...
It's likely to grow legs or throw itself under a fork lift wheel.

:angel:
:rotflmao:

All too true, unfortunately!

Also, one or more of those journeymen fill out the report the apprentice turns in to the JATC.

mpoulton

Man, I never would have thought a decent AC/DC clamp meter would ever be too fancy. OK. So something like a T+PRO or T5-1000? Or is a T5-1000 still too fancy?

iwire

Staff member
Man, I never would have thought a decent AC/DC clamp meter would ever be too fancy. OK. So something like a T+PRO or T5-1000? Or is a T5-1000 still too fancy?

I think a lot depends on what you do and where you work.

I have nice meters that stay in the truck till needed. I don't want them damaged or have to worry about them growing legs and leaving.

My daily carry meter is just a Fluke T5.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you do purchase a DMM make sure that it's back lit. Seems like electricians are constantly testing where the lighting is poor or in some cases non-existent.

mgookin

She could get him the $100 meter and the really cool hand tools now and a clamp meter for Christmas (or Hanukkah) 2017. He'll have some time in by then.

Just a thought.

Great thread. Especially Jraef's comment!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I use a fluke 87V. I would like to pick up a fluke 117.
We must think alike. My 87 grew legs and I replaced it with a 117... It unfortunately grew legs eventually too.

After that happened on a job site, the salesman friend that I was doing the work for give me a demo AEMC clamp-on that nobody likes, but it works fine for a lot of stuff I do now. I've had it now for over a decade, it's like a bad pair of sunglasses that you just hang onto without trying.

For important stuff I have a Fluke 190 ScopeMeter but it never leaves my hand when I use it and when I'm done, it goes back into the case, then the case goes in the truck or car out of sight, even if it means walking out to it and back for other tasks that don't need the meter. I don't want some druggie taking an interest in it and smashing a window, and if I get distracted doing something else with it near me, that thing will grow sprinter legs...

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Watch clamp ons

Watch clamp ons

Watch out for clamp on's as your only meter. I don't know the model #s off the top of my head but my fluke clamp on's resistance scale only goes up to 6k ohm and it will not even check a speed pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.