Online College Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Does anyone know of an accredited college offering EE courses for a reasonable tuition?

I looked at Arizona State and it's darn close to $2k a class.

Ingenieur

First stay in state, much cheaper
you can take the pre-requisites almost anywhere
just make sure they are transferable to your program
calculus 1 & 2
physics 1 & 2
etc
these are required before any BS level EE courses can be taken
and calc 3, diff equations, linear algebra beyond that
sometimes probability/statistics

it will not be inexpensive from any abet accredited program

gar

Occupation
EE
160704-0909 EDT

At the University of Michigan website I found the following information: Enter http://ro.umich.edu/tuition/tuition-fees.php , then scroll down to Engineering. It appears that distance learning (on line) is only available at the graduate level. I did not look at what classes were available. But it is much better to be in a real classroom environment.

At Michigan the ratio of non-resident to resident credit hour cost for distance learning is less than for on campus classes.

For low level courses consider attending a good local junior college. As Ingenieur stated make sure credits are transferable.

When I went to school ballpark cost was about $1800 per year for tuition, books, supplies, and room and board. That is probably equivalent to about 36,000 to 54,000 per year now.

gar

Occupation
EE
160704-1445 EDT

I went searching and it appears that tuition is somewhat over $1000 per credit hour.

By comparision I found in my 1950 University of Colarado Bulletin for the Engineering School a statement of Tuition and Fees. In this table I found non-resident tuition and fees for one quarter for any credit load were $116. This correlates with a undefined receipt for $106 June 1950. I don't know why the $10 difference.

For some course, not identified on the receipt, in the late 1950s at the University of Michigan, I found a receipt for $50 for a 3 hour course. The U of M is a semester type system.

That $116 in 1950 is adjusted to$1,146 today. My bill without books is $5,800 for 13 credits in junior year engineering at the Universty of Missouri St. Louis. My prerequisite courses were taken at St. Louis community college for 100 dolars a credit hour. Which is comparable to your education costs.
My advice is don't do engineering online. The labs and peerwork are as valuable as the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.