Hot/Cold/Gas bond with PVC pipe in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACL

I am required to have a hot/cold/gas bond on my area. However I am working in a house that has all new PVC piping and the water main for the house is PEX. The only metal pipe in the house are the 18" copper runs that are running to and from the water heater and the black metal gas piping running through out the house. Since there will be no grounding to the cold water main, do I bond the (2) pieces of copper running to the hot water heater to the gas and then run it back to the panel? Or do I just bond the 3 pipes and not run everything back to the panel?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Short sections of water piping do not require bonding. The only thing you need to bond is the gas piping.

ACL

OK. Thanks. I'm also being told 2 different things when it comes to the conductor size. I have #6 solid main ground. Is 4 AWG stranded sufficient or do I need to go to #2 stranded?

ACL

Is solid/bare exceptable for the bonding run? I already have that run from the gas across the ceiling due to the original build plan but the panel location changed this morning and i would now need to run it from the basement up through a wall and across the attic ceiling to the garage where the panel is now be relocated to. Its a 85ft run.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
zin your case the only grounding electrode conductor needed is the ground rod since there is no metal water pipe. The bonding of the gas pipe is, as stated, done by the equipment grounding conductor of circuit that is likely to energize the pipe.

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in, or attached to, abuilding or structure, a metal piping system(s), including
gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be
bonded to any of the following:
(1) Equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is
likely to energize the piping system
(2) Service equipment enclosure
(3) Grounded conductor at the service
(4) Grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size
(5) One or more grounding electrodes used
The bonding conductor(s) or jumper(s) shall be sized in
accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the circuit that
is likely to energize the piping system(s). The points of
attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the is no metal piping system then you don't have to bond the short sections of water.

The national gas code requires bonding the csst but you can connect to the black iron near the entry into the building. NC amended this to allow bonding anywhere on the black iron pipe or on the csst fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.