Need some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Hey everyone im not really a lighting guy per say mostly electrical end but any way heres my issue i have a client in a restaurant that got a fire department violation for not having a way of shutting of the lights with some sort of switch. Dont ask y but they did . Im going to attach some pics of the current system they have in place my idea was to just gut the timers/modules (if thats even what they are) and to just wire in standard switches. Any ideas or feed back would be greatly appreciated uploadfromtaptalk1468261845059.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468261848425.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468261852043.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468261859567.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468261864515.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468261870543.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Switches are not required by the NEC. Its allowable and common to use the circuit breakers for switching.
Can the FD show you a code or local ordinance that requires switches?
If switches are required consider installing close to the electrical panel in a multigang box

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Disconnect ?

Disconnect ?

Besides ripping it out due to it is not going to work someday, can't you just cut in a disconnect switch for the whole thing?

nickelec

Is anyone familiar with this this system maybe a brief description on how it works?

iwire

Staff member
Is anyone familiar with this this system maybe a brief description on how it works?

I do a lot of EMS and lighting control work and have not seen that system, you might need someone from the 1970s to help with that one.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can see the FD having a legitimate interest in turning all the lights on full in an emergency, not turning them off.
An additional disconnect would not do that, but a alarm panel interface for the control system might.

P.S. I expect that they are used mainly as programmable dimmers for mood lighting and your customer would not be at all happy ripping them out for switches.

JFletcher

Hey everyone im not really a lighting guy per say mostly electrical end but any way heres my issue i have a client in a restaurant that got a fire department violation for not having a way of shutting of the lights with some sort of switch. Dont ask y but they did . Im going to attach some pics of the current system they have in place my idea was to just gut the timers/modules (if thats even what they are) and to just wire in standard switches. Any ideas or feed back would be greatly appreciated View attachment 15258 View attachment 15259 View attachment 15260 View attachment 15261 View attachment 15262 View attachment 15263

If they just need to be shut off, then leave all that alone, put in a 3ph disco or switchfor it, call it a day.

Single gang box, one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MS303-DS-Three-Pole-Disconnect-Non-Grounding/dp/B002MPPT3Y

nickelec

If they just need to be shut off, then leave all that alone, put in a 3ph disco or switchfor it, call it a day.

Single gang box, one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MS303-DS-Three-Pole-Disconnect-Non-Grounding/dp/B002MPPT3Y
Hey thanks for your help im not sure turning them off is the issue. My client does no know why the fd gave them a violation.. (as usual) im not to convinced that those are dimming modules if they are they dont work any more i know that for a fact . Im going to get on the horn with that controller company tomorrow and find out exactly whats going on there. I could just put switches in a rough house box next to cabinets ahead of breakers not interfering with modules. But theres got to be an easier way !!! I hope..

JFletcher

Hey thanks for your help im not sure turning them off is the issue. My client does no know why the fd gave them a violation.. (as usual) im not to convinced that those are dimming modules if they are they dont work any more i know that for a fact . Im going to get on the horn with that controller company tomorrow and find out exactly whats going on there. I could just put switches in a rough house box next to cabinets ahead of breakers not interfering with modules. But theres got to be an easier way !!! I hope..

You're welcome. In your original post, you stated the FD wanted a way to shut off all the lights, yes?

" i have a client in a restaurant that got a fire department violation for not having a way of shutting of the lights with some sort of switch"

That panel looks to have 3 phase input. If I had to guess about the FD, they'd want to be able to secure all the lights so if they are swinging a fire axe in the ceiling they arent hitting energized lights. Tho a double pole switch would kill all the lights, it would still leave an energized phase. A 3ph disco/switch will kill all lights and leave nothing hot in the lights controlled by that panel.

If a properly marked and readily accessible circuit breaker is not sufficient, what I boldedwould be the next easiest thing.

good luck and please let us know what you find out from the fire marshall/inspector.

nickelec

You're welcome. In your original post, you stated the FD wanted a way to shut off all the lights, yes?

" i have a client in a restaurant that got a fire department violation for not having a way of shutting of the lights with some sort of switch"

That panel looks to have 3 phase input. If I had to guess about the FD, they'd want to be able to secure all the lights so if they are swinging a fire axe in the ceiling they arent hitting energized lights. Tho a double pole switch would kill all the lights, it would still leave an energized phase. A 3ph disco/switch will kill all lights and leave nothing hot in the lights controlled by that panel.

If a properly marked and readily accessible circuit breaker is not sufficient, what I boldedwould be the next easiest thing.

good luck and please let us know what you find out from the fire marshall/inspector.
Will do and ty again

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hey everyone im not really a lighting guy per say mostly electrical end but any way heres my issue i have a client in a restaurant that got a fire department violation for not having a way of shutting of the lights with some sort of switch. Dont ask y but they did . Im going to attach some pics of the current system they have in place my idea was to just gut the timers/modules (if thats even what they are) and to just wire in standard switches. Any ideas or feed back would be greatly appreciated

You have come to the right place. Marlin is a small company and as such is pretty easy to get information from. The phone number is (214) 553-5700 and Moe Chigani is the President and owner. I just got done doing a World of Beer And this system is installed. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is to press the off switch, or to set it to manual and then press the off switch. So, even though I don't think the FD has the right to demand "switching" it is already there.

Basically though the white dials you see represent "dimming scenes." Setting all of the first dials to the far left means that all the lights will be off. Setting the second to the far right means all lights in that scene will be full brightness, and then setting the third dial to some switch legs at various dimming levels sets that scene.

This dimming system is used in most Outback's and other restaurants of that corporation, as that is where Moe got his start and where his bread is buttered.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
In your second picture, just insert the key turn to manual and turn 'em all off. There's your "switch."

edit... just saw Strathead's post.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This dimming system is used in most Outback's and other restaurants of that corporation, as that is where Moe got his start and where his bread is buttered.

Every outback and carrabba's....... I think we even put one in a red lobster ?? Which was still Darden at the time so unrelated to outback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Every outback and carrabba's....... I think we even put one in a red lobster ?? Which was still Darden at the time so unrelated to outback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knew it was Outback and others, because my EE explained it to me, I just couldn't remember all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.