Raceway Bends over 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run into a problem. So, we've installed runs using rigid conduit that does not exceed the 360 degree rule, but at the ends of the conduit we have changed over to sealtite due to the inability to make the proper bends in rigid. The inspector says that we are over our bending requirements. I assumed that you can use the sealtite connectors in lieu of a pull point according to 310.15 (F) One run is 360 degrees of rigid and 180 degrees of sealtite. Am I incorrect in my assumption and interpretation of the code?

iwire

Staff member
No, you cannot count couplings and connectors as pull points. The NEC requires the raceway to be compleat before installing conductors.

I suggest installing a C conduit body at the transition to which is a pull point.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, you cannot count couplings and connectors as pull points. The NEC requires the raceway to be compleat before installing conductors.

I suggest installing a C conduit body at the transition to which is a pull point.
I agree.

Install C condulets at the transition from rigid to LT.

What about sealtite 90's? You can't pull conductors straight through them, you break apart the fitting to access the wiring and then install the 90. Otherwise it will put too much strain on the wire. In order to install conduit bodies I have to shut down a conveyor system. The Airport isn't going to be happy about it because it's currently in use.

iwire

Staff member
What about sealtite 90's? You can't pull conductors straight through them, you break apart the fitting to access the wiring and then install the 90.

Those are designed that way, it does not change the fact those you can't use a transition from pipe to flex as a pull point.

300.18 Raceway Installations.

(A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or exposed
raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be
installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points
prior to the installation of conductors.
Where required to facilitate
the installation of utilization equipment, the raceway
shall be permitted to be initially installed without a terminating
connection at the equipment. Prewired raceway assemblies
shall be permitted only where specifically permitted in this
Code for the applicable wiring method.

Exception: Short sections of raceways used to contain
conductors or cable assemblies for protection from physical
damage shall not be required to be installed complete
between outlet, junction, or splicing points.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What about sealtite 90's? You can't pull conductors straight through them, you break apart the fitting to access the wiring and then install the 90. Otherwise it will put too much strain on the wire. In order to install conduit bodies I have to shut down a conveyor system. The Airport isn't going to be happy about it because it's currently in use.

Why was the wiring installed and energized prior to inspection?

JAP>

jusme123

Occupation
JW

...that's why it should be done late at night when the airport is not busy.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
In order to install conduit bodies I have to shut down a conveyor system. The Airport isn't going to be happy about it because it's currently in use.

It's all part of running a job and being aware of the codes applying to every project. It's never fun telling a customer you mucked something up and need to shut something down just to make a correction, but ultimately it's your responsibility to be in front of these potential problems.

I've learned A LOT the hard way, some days it seems it's the only way I learn....:roll:

You'll remember it for next time though!

It's all part of running a job and being aware of the codes applying to every project. It's never fun telling a customer you mucked something up and need to shut something down just to make a correction, but ultimately it's your responsibility to be in front of these potential problems.

I've learned A LOT the hard way, some days it seems it's the only way I learn....:roll:

You'll remember it for next time though!

Sure will. I've done work for the airport for 8 years, my company has been here 25. This is the first inspection I've ever failed and the largest punchlist I've ever had. Yet, stressing over it won't do any good, just gotta move forward and get prepared for the next project.

mgookin

Sure will. I've done work for the airport for 8 years, my company has been here 25. This is the first inspection I've ever failed and the largest punchlist I've ever had. Yet, stressing over it won't do any good, just gotta move forward and get prepared for the next project.

Great attitude. And from your other posts it sounds like you have a good rapport with these folks. They may be inclined to issue a change order and cover the costs of the changes since the specs were not provided at the time necessary to execute the work in conformance with the specs. It costs nothing to ask. Airports spend big bucks.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Airports have their own sets of rules and their own inspectors.

Regardless, inspection should have took place prior to energizing.
Then he could have fixed the problem before it was put into service.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member

JAP>

That is not how it works with engineering inspections.

Walmart will wait 10 or 11 months to do their inspections the entire time holding back on the final payments.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I consider (2) open ends of a pipe a pull point and I don't consider it to be an outlet, splice or junction point.
358.26 lists conduit bodies and boxes only as an example not as a rule.

For an example a conduit run with (4) 90's then transitioning to flex with a straight and a 90d flex connector on one end to a motor lets say.

Whats to keep me from running a conduit with (4) 90d bends in it to meet the requirements of 358.26, pulling the wire in and then using the exception of 300.18 of being able to leave the flex 90 off of the terminating point at the equipment to finish it up?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
358.26 doesn't say I have to hit a conduit body, junction or splice point before I pull the wire in, and 300.18 doesn't say I cant pull the conductors into a conduit with more than 360 degrees of bend.

JAP>

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

JAP>

There is a BIG difference between energizing something and putting that energized something into service.

Here, we can't pass a final inspection without everything being energized so the inspector can verify everything works properly. GFCI's, etc. That doesn't mean the equipment is being used at this point, just that it can function for inspection.

Regardless, I think a lot of us put things into service sometimes way before inspections happen. Large projects are often done in sections, but there may only be one final inspection for the whole project. It's unrealistic to make a blanket statement to get all the sections done and everything finaled before putting any of it into service.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There is a BIG difference between energizing something and putting that energized something into service.

Here, we can't pass a final inspection without everything being energized so the inspector can verify everything works properly. GFCI's, etc. That doesn't mean the equipment is being used at this point, just that it can function for inspection.

Regardless, I think a lot of us put things into service sometimes way before inspections happen. Large projects are often done in sections, but there may only be one final inspection for the whole project. It's unrealistic to make a blanket statement to get all the sections done and everything finaled before putting any of it into service.

It's also unrealistic to think that you'd have to wait 11 months after a business was up and running to get a call telling that you did something wrong.

JAP>

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It's also unrealistic to think that you'd have to wait 11 months after a business was up and running to get a call telling that you did something wrong.
Unless there was a means [on hand or available, and known] for you to establish you did something wrong when or before you did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.