Kitchen Island, How Many Recptacles Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How many receptacles are required on this island? And at which end(s)? I say one at either end, inspector says two. :?

NLjOxnk7kX0qwJYkuJxUjtVbz_pyUbJmY1tYmXCvjY638eyiniXZeVwdde-rLbfPXSXr_DTVW5jpmG9HIXN30uiI_2_1_ue0oro5VTqxwCWGoNFNH1x3nCK_er9awqLrZnUoBoihfbXgOklCv6xLW1UqUeOZ6mVMjUElu-RhOBXk87KqMWJnhqIjmw9AdrnhNHU07lsmx4Mn6SCJgkzxvAb7JYoigihuh0foKKtoVIGFxAXYU_sP3oJxmjDP0AmEIoty5rWHUIKm3QolNGdyaMlNz9HNn3rKa95-xcAfY0h647BFjTvUJdMwNX_ll0FBhdgkmGDR5dE880i4FjJeabkEhWyUE5r0rfVMYHoZtwPkVEuzYt543bHpjH8pltU4v2XaM_tiQw6j0PRlC5XdzjNYUJgGDgKejS3n6SxQH6xB1Vxe2HF0jclSBm_rBg5tgOf7BTMhH9P1fE1HcZexCLsdyZLsOb25zsBtv0KDVOQoPGNIgvCuDLTVCIlrMPYIxPuGLuAmDBrDkDd8ySYWEzZ7J4EmV-ibbqdAZ7Kx4YEGG83mE3cfHIh3azCbySvbeiWF-C8W6zdh7R4blLyt4nZix47hnHTs=w2441-h1380-no

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I say at least one. The sink does not divide the island and the space behind the sink is not less than 12"

Did the inspector cite a code section other than the obvious.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I say at least one. The sink does not divide the island and the space behind the sink is not less than 12"

Did the inspector cite a code section other than the obvious.

No code section other than you need two because of the sink. For arguments sake what if the space behind the sink were less than 12"?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
It looks like the space "behind" the sink is greater than 12". Only one receptacle would be required.

If the space behind the sink were less than 12", you'd have two separate countertop spaces, but one of them looks like it would be less than 12" in width and wouldn't need a receptacle anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the space behind the sink were less than 12", you'd have two separate countertop spaces, but one of them looks like it would be less than 12" in width and wouldn't need a receptacle anyway.

I agree but in that case the receptacle would have to be on the right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where does the code specify the location. As far as I know the receptacle can be anywhere on the island as long as it meets the req. of less than 12" down and no more than 6" overhang

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Where does the code specify the location. As far as I know the receptacle can be anywhere on the island as long as it meets the req. of less than 12" down and no more than 6" overhang

210.52(C)(4) says where a sink divides an island countertop into two separate spaces, each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements of 210.52(C).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.52(C)(4) says where a sink divides an island countertop into two separate spaces, each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements of 210.52(C).

I know that but I thought you were saying the receptacle could only go on the right side. I agree one is required

templdl

If it is a bid job then to assure that you are quoting apples to apples meeting minimum code requirements makes sense. If it is time and materials where adding an extra outlet or two won't break the bank I would opt for placing outlets where they make sense where a cord(s) doesn't have to be layed across the counter top to access an outlet cluttering the preparation area.

Status
Not open for further replies.