User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: home and warehouse

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    home and warehouse

    a current [bid is for 2 story building where home will be on above and business or warehouse below. i am not sure how that works for both but my question is IS this a commercial job with conduit and wiring or residential with romex? The Electrical notes make no mention of NM cable only emt conduit so I suspect pipe everthing. But I am curious if this could be both conduit and NM cable.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    a current [bid is for 2 story building where home will be on above and business or warehouse below. i am not sure how that works for both but my question is IS this a commercial job with conduit and wiring or residential with romex? The Electrical notes make no mention of NM cable only emt conduit so I suspect pipe everthing. But I am curious if this could be both conduit and NM cable.
    What do the Specs say?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    What do the Specs say?
    The specs are vague. I only see where it says conduit if to be exposed needs to be emt. The other requirements are you can have more than 9 circuits in conduit and any 20a circuit longer than 100' needs to be #10. I can find anything else.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    The specs are vague. I only see where it says conduit if to be exposed needs to be emt. The other requirements are you can have more than 9 circuits in conduit and any 20a circuit longer than 100' needs to be #10. I can find anything else.
    What construction type is the structure?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    What construction type is the structure?
    Its a typical metal building that will have warehouse on 1st floor and home 2nd floor. I hope that helps.If you saw it from the street you wouldnt know someone lived there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    Its a typical metal building that will have warehouse on 1st floor and home 2nd floor. I hope that helps.If you saw it from the street you wouldnt know someone lived there.
    I would call local AHJ and Architect to verify.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,461
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    Its a typical metal building that will have warehouse on 1st floor and home 2nd floor. I hope that helps.If you saw it from the street you wouldnt know someone lived there.
    One thing that would stop the use of NM in the bottom floor is if they have a drop ceiling with tiles.

    For a metal building MC cable may work out better than NM. Still a lot easier to run than conduit.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    10,116
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    a current [bid is for 2 story building where home will be on above and business or warehouse below. i am not sure how that works for both but my question is IS this a commercial job with conduit and wiring or residential with romex? The Electrical notes make no mention of NM cable only emt conduit so I suspect pipe everthing. But I am curious if this could be both conduit and NM cable.
    This would be a building and fire code issue.

    I second the idea of running mc
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the two occupancies are separated by a 1-hour fire barrier, here in NJ you could wire the home with NM, but you'd have to use MC or better for the commercial space. If no barrier, the home gets MC too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •