User Tag List

Thread: home and warehouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

home and warehouse

a current [bid is for 2 story building where home will be on above and business or warehouse below. i am not sure how that works for both but my question is IS this a commercial job with conduit and wiring or residential with romex? The Electrical notes make no mention of NM cable only emt conduit so I suspect pipe everthing. But I am curious if this could be both conduit and NM cable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    a current [bid is for 2 story building where home will be on above and business or warehouse below. i am not sure how that works for both but my question is IS this a commercial job with conduit and wiring or residential with romex? The Electrical notes make no mention of NM cable only emt conduit so I suspect pipe everthing. But I am curious if this could be both conduit and NM cable.
    What do the Specs say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    What do the Specs say?
    The specs are vague. I only see where it says conduit if to be exposed needs to be emt. The other requirements are you can have more than 9 circuits in conduit and any 20a circuit longer than 100' needs to be #10. I can find anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The specs are vague. I only see where it says conduit if to be exposed needs to be emt. The other requirements are you can have more than 9 circuits in conduit and any 20a circuit longer than 100' needs to be #10. I can find anything else.
    What construction type is the structure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    What construction type is the structure?
    Its a typical metal building that will have warehouse on 1st floor and home 2nd floor. I hope that helps.If you saw it from the street you wouldnt know someone lived there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a typical metal building that will have warehouse on 1st floor and home 2nd floor. I hope that helps.If you saw it from the street you wouldnt know someone lived there.
    I would call local AHJ and Architect to verify.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that would stop the use of NM in the bottom floor is if they have a drop ceiling with tiles.

For a metal building MC cable may work out better than NM. Still a lot easier to run than conduit.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a building and fire code issue.

I second the idea of running mc
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the two occupancies are separated by a 1-hour fire barrier, here in NJ you could wire the home with NM, but you'd have to use MC or better for the commercial space. If no barrier, the home gets MC too.