Recommendations For Motion Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Anyone have a recommendation for exterior motion sensor lights for a house? I've just replaced the third new one in less than 5 months(three different lights)- seems the motion detectors are failing. Would using a stand-alone motion detector be better as far as reliability and adjusting sensitivity? The lights Ive installed usually have 3 settings: picks up a butterfly at 30 yards, senses a person at 2', and a 'medium' setting.

cpinetree

Anyone have a recommendation for exterior motion sensor lights for a house? I've just replaced the third new one in less than 5 months(three different lights)- seems the motion detectors are failing. Would using a stand-alone motion detector be better as far as reliability and adjusting sensitivity? The lights Ive installed usually have 3 settings: picks up a butterfly at 30 yards, senses a person at 2', and a 'medium' setting.

RAB
Main website: http://www.rabweb.com/
Outdoor sensors: http://www.rabweb.com/majorGroups.php?pg=OUTSENSORS

Their motion products are the only ones we will both supply and install, if homeowner wants to supply one we will hang it but, NO WARRANTY.
The RAB stuff may not be inexpensive but a call back is way more costly. Most times when we explain the advantages and warranty, homeowners elect to have us both supply and install the RAB units.

RAB stuff just works! on the rare occasion of having a defective product, we have never had an issue having it replaced.

Their website is also great for doing lighting layouts. After picking a fixture you can click the "EZ Layout tab"
and produce a very professional lighting layout for your customer, as well as do fixture comparisons.

kwired

Electron manager
I hate motion sensing fixtures for some of the reasons mentioned.

On my house I have photo cell controlled perimeter lights, as well as dimmer switch on them. They come on every night at a low level, makes great security lighting that you don't need to worry so much about whether it is going to come on when needed or that it will come on when it isn't supposed to and stay on all night. The low level it normally is set at doesn't really consume that much energy. LED's were not as popular yet when these were put in or else they may have them in use, but they are 11-12 years old with 75 watt PAR30 halogen lamps, have run nearly all night every night since installation and have never had to change a lamp. Have had to replace photo cell once.

mgookin

I put one on the porch to light up when someone (including myself) approaches the front door. It's great to find your key and get it in the lock.

When watching tv if someone comes to the door I can get to the door at the same time as that person because I can see through the window that the light came on.

But no photocells allowed at mi casa.
We control our lights with extraterrestrial spacecraft signals!

kwired

Electron manager
I put one on the porch to light up when someone (including myself) approaches the front door. It's great to find your key and get it in the lock.

When watching tv if someone comes to the door I can get to the door at the same time as that person because I can see through the window that the light came on.

But no photocells allowed at mi casa.
We control our lights with extraterrestrial spacecraft signals!
I happen to live in the country, no street lights. Minimal lighting around the house is desirable for security, and it doesn't need to be all that much to see something out there, I say something because it more often is a critter instead of a person.

If someone is going to approach the door, there usually will be a vehicle pulling in the driveway first that will get my attention.

mgookin

I happen to live in the country, no street lights. Minimal lighting around the house is desirable for security, and it doesn't need to be all that much to see something out there, I say something because it more often is a critter instead of a person.

If someone is going to approach the door, there usually will be a vehicle pulling in the driveway first that will get my attention.

I hear that all the time about nuisance on conditions but I've never seen it. I spent about 2 minutes adjusting the infrared sensor and it's always worked like a champ. Getting it close to the door and pointing down, not out, seems to be the answer.

kwired

Electron manager
I hear that all the time about nuisance on conditions but I've never seen it. I spent about 2 minutes adjusting the infrared sensor and it's always worked like a champ. Getting it close to the door and pointing down, not out, seems to be the answer.
You are probably not using the $10 motion sensor fixtures from the big box stores:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.