NM Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesguy10

Whats everyones preferred brand of NM?
I usually use southwire, as thats what my supply house stocks, but today i picked up some "Encore Wire" brand 14/2 at lowes. I like it, it has a little thicker outer jacket, and the print on it is not as bold, large and obnoxious as southwire. It also has the room type and number of the jacket that you can circle with a sharpie to label the wire, something ive only seen on speaker cables.

mdshunk

I order my wire in pretty big quanities from a supplier hundreds of miles away from me. I get the "brand of the day", more or less. Never know what brand I'll get, but I don't have a preference. I thought I was going to really like that "slick" romex that some companies are making (maybe just Southwire?), but it snags and tears way too easily for my liking. Seems like I do get Essex and Colonial. Colonial has a really neat flash animation page upon entering their website: http://www.colonialwire.com/

Another neat wire and cable link. "Who owns who in the wire world":
http://ewweb.com/mag/electric_owns_whom_wire/

jamesguy10

Wow ................ I used to use colonial in the late 80's early 90's, and essex in the mid 90's
That was before i ever touched 14gauge wire
I think most on the thhn i get now is essex, but i havnt really payed attention to that lately

Last edited:

mdshunk

jamesguy10 said:
Wow ................ I used to use colonial in the late 80's early 90's, and essex in the mid 90's
That was before i ever touched 14gauge wire
I think Colonial might be the last company that I know of that's still shipping their 250' coils of romex in cardboard boxes.

GilbeSpark

mdshunk said:
I think Colonial might be the last company that I know of that's still shipping their 250' coils of romex in cardboard boxes.

We don't get so much in the box anymore. All of the 14-2 we get is shrink wrapped Every now and then a few boxes of 14-3 will pop up.

peter d

My preference is the Southwire Simpull or the Cirtex "EZ Pull" stuff. As long as it has the slick jacket.

mdshunk said:
Seems like I do get Essex and Colonial.

That supplier must have a lot of old stock on hand because Essex was bought out by Southwire 2 or 3 years ago.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
GilbeSpark said:
We don't get so much in the box anymore. All of the 14-2 we get is shrink wrapped Every now and then a few boxes of 14-3 will pop up.

the colonial #10 I get still comes in a box.

btw i really like the southwire simpull. the encore seems to snag the worst w/ me.

Chris6245

I get the lowest price from one of our suppliers, then I go to one of our local "Big Box" stores that has a price match policy and have them call and verify the price then they beat it by another 10%....Ya gotta work the system people...By the way it helps if your supplier knows to expect the call so they don't quote over the counter prices. Next time you are in your Orange Big Box check with the commercial counter people about the price match it may suprise you that they will actually beat a supply house's price

GilbeSpark

Chris6245 said:
Next time you are in your Orange Big Box check with the commercial counter people about the price match it may suprise you that they will actually beat a supply house's price

Big local supply house here is Hughes....well, WAS Hughes. Home Depot bought them out and now it's called HD Supply. I wonder if HD would beat HD Supply's prices???

Status
Not open for further replies.