Ridgid Tri Stand pipe vise question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

I'm thinking about purchasing a portable pipe vise for a couple of jobs coming up. Ridgid offers the tri stand vise in a chain vise or the regular clamp style. Thinking about down the road, what works best for threading rigid, cutting strut etc... chain or clamp?

electricalperson

Mule said:
I'm thinking about purchasing a portable pipe vise for a couple of jobs coming up. Ridgid offers the tri stand vise in a chain vise or the regular clamp style. Thinking about down the road, what works best for threading rigid, cutting strut etc... chain or clamp?
i like using the chain

ceb58

I like the chain also. The unit is a pain to handle and set up but it will handle larger sizes. You may find a good deal on a used one on something like e-bay.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm glad you asked, I HIGHLY recommend the chain type. I do quite a bit of threading using tripods using both the chain and clamp type. I've been stuck with the clamper this week and it will NOT clamp down tight enough on 3/4" to save it's life. Pipe spins every time.:mad: The chain on the other hand works flawlessly and grips the pipe very well.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
George Stolz said:
I've only seen the chain style. What's the clamp one look like? :confused:

3ad2_1.JPG

I picked this up for 0.99c

iwire

Staff member
Cow said:
I'm glad you asked, I HIGHLY recommend the chain type. I do quite a bit of threading using tripods using both the chain and clamp type. I've been stuck with the clamper this week and it will NOT clamp down tight enough on 3/4" to save it's life. Pipe spins every time.:mad: The chain on the other hand works flawlessly and grips the pipe very well.

I like the chain style as well but if your stuck with the yoke type see if the jaws can be turned over or order new jaws, it will make a world of difference.

tkb

I too would recommend the chain vise.
Ridgid makes 2 different chain tripod vises.

the 460 is for 1/8-6" pipe and is rather large to keep in the truck all the time.
The 425 is for 1/8-2 1/2" and can be set up and put away with one hand. It folds up small an is a very good vise to store in the truck.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Portable-Tristand-Vises

I have both and use the 425 for most everything. I use the 460 for power threading since it is larger.

masterinbama

tried to find a picture but couldn't so I will try to describe a stiff leg.You cut a piece of 1" grs that will go from the top of threaded T handle that has the cone on top of it to the ceiling structure above the vise. When you tighten this up it will keep the vise from tipping over. Really handy when you are using a hog-head and drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.