Zinc Shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

I have been told there is a zinc shortage now. They say that die cast fittings will be going up 40% overnight. Has anyone else heard of this. Soon it will be cheaper to use steel connectors and couplings than die cast. Also other than EMT, GRC and IMC conduit what else could be going up that uses zinc? If the pricing system does not stabilize there may be some contractors working for no profit or at a loss.

shocker3218

copper prices are up, zinc prices are up. Has anyone seen devices going up? Seems strange to me that the price stays very stable, yet they contain copper, and zins

tonyi

Typically shiny type bolts and nuts are zinc plated, some occasionally are cadmium plated if a spec calls for it.

I scraped an old zinc anode a couple of months ago -- about $.20/lb at the time as I recall.

izak

BATTERIES MAN!

batteries for your flashlight, remote control, alarm clock, smoke detector, vibrator, volt meter, radio, vibrator, all kinds of alkaline batteries have a high percentage of ZINC

Friday afternoon, I heard from a large national supplier that zinc and copper are almost at a crisis point. Yes I also heard that steel fittings may soon be less expensive than zinc fittings. Also heard that copper is going up almost 20% on Monday, with no end in sight to the increases in price.

I am curious how much longer this can actually go on?????

dduffee260

Pierre C Belarge said:
Friday afternoon, I heard from a large national supplier that zinc and copper are almost at a crisis point. Yes I also heard that steel fittings may soon be less expensive than zinc fittings. Also heard that copper is going up almost 20% on Monday, with no end in sight to the increases in price.

I am curious how much longer this can actually go on?????

I have been hearing the same thing. I am buying everything that I can think of that may go up a large percentage. I did this with conduit and wire last month and it payed off big time.
There are some contractors that waited because they felt prices were too high. Now they are at a loss. Copper went up again Friday on the futures market. I have a feeling this among other things is going to slow down the economy.
I also heard the rumor about Regal. Something like the other companies were going up 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.