Federal Pacific Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwlodyka

I have recently come across Federal Pacific Distribution Panels and sub-panels in a commerical installation. The gear is dated 1986 and panels are of the same age. I know of all the issues with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panels in the past (these are not Stab-Lok). Are there safety concerns with all Federal Pacific equipment? Or is it limited to the Stab-Lok type?

nolabama

you should check and see if the breakers have been changed - they are probably ge now - its all aparently junk but their is no recall data or other data that will substaintiate its removal; other than its junk

celtic

cwlodyka said:
Are there safety concerns with all Federal Pacific equipment?
Obviously, there are safety concerns with ALL electrical equipment :smile:
Recently, I've come across some FPE gear in the 5kv range that appears to be in good working order...how it will react to a fault condition is another matter.

cwlodyka said:
Or is it limited to the Stab-Lok type?
It has been my experience that the issues with FPE equipment is generally limited to a few specific styles of the Stab-Loc, namely the "E" and "F" style of stab bus.
This is not to say anything other than "E" and "F" are OK.

If you haven't seen this, in regards to "E" and "F" , give it an eyeball or two...only about 6 pages long:
FPE Panels ? Hazard or Hype?

brian john

The original FPE recall was for bolt-in circuits not Stab-Locs. There is a list of CBs that were recalled> I just have not been able to locate the list in my office or on line.

ItsHot

Reliance Electric?

Reliance Electric?

A little off topic, but does anyone know if FP was ever affiliated with Reliance Electric? You gotta love that FP stuff!! What is with the "reverse" breaker position thing?:-? If you have to remove panel cover, you turn off a lot of the breakers!:D

peter d

I have worked in a building full of commerical FPE gear. The transformers said "FPE by Reliance Electric." The panels appeared to be Westinghouse clones.

nolabama

yes reliance is related to FPE they came up in my search for the bolt in breaker recall list - and they are stern in the fact that they dont know of any breaker recall from FPE:mad:

I did a service call a couple of years ago where the customer complained of intermitant electrical failures.

On arrival, I of course go to the electrical panel, which was in the garage, near the front door.

As I was approaching the panel, someone slammed the front door closed, and the lights in the garage flickered.

Yup, FPE Stab lock panel w/ thin breakers. What was strange was how they worked as long as they did.

And yes, I replaced the panel.

Also, as a firefighter, I ran on numerous electrical panel fires, all of them were FPE (they were very popular in the OKC area in the 60's & 70's)

IMO: Zinsco and FPE panels should always be replaced.

celtic

nolabama said:
.... in a court its as good as any other panel
:-?

Not true:
scan0001.jpg

FPE.jpg

scan0002.jpg

The courts in NJ had a completely different opinion:cool:

nolabama said:
yes reliance is related to FPE they came up in my search for the bolt in breaker recall list - and they are stern in the fact that they dont know of any breaker recall from FPE:mad:

I don't know about recalls, But for me, the reliance of having any type FPE breakers tripping when they should, has always been shaky at best.

TwinCitySparky

brian john said:
The original FPE recall was for bolt-in circuits not Stab-Locs. There is a list of CBs that were recalled> I just have not been able to locate the list in my office or on line.

Sure

But, anyone who has ever touched a stab-loc knows, they should have been part of the recall.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.