Failed an inspection yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
charlie b said:
But he is quoting something that includes an exhibit 110.3. Not even the handbook has such an exhibit.
Charlie, My 2008 NECH does have exhibit 110.3.

Installation Method
Exhibit 110.3 illustrates the following correct method of connection:

1. The freshly stripped end of the wire is wrapped two-thirds to three-quarters of the distance around the wire-binding screw post, as shown in Step A of Exhibit 110.3. The loop is made so that rotation of the screw during tightening will tend to wrap the wire around the post rather than unwrap it.

2. The screw is tightened until the wire is snugly in contact with the underside of the screw head and with the contact plate on the wiring device, as shown in Step B of Exhibit 110.3.

3. The screw is tightened an additional half-turn, thereby providing a firm connection, as shown in Step C of Exhibit 110.3. If a torque screwdriver is used, the screw is tightened to 12 lb-in.

4. The wires should be positioned behind the wiring device to decrease the likelihood of the terminal screws loosening when the device is positioned into the outlet box.

outletscrew.jpg

Exhibit 110.3 Correct method of terminating aluminum wire at wire-binding screw terminals of receptacles and snap switches. (Redrawn courtesy of Underwriters Laboratories Inc.)
Roger

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
roger said:
Charlie, My 2008 NECH does have exhibit 110.3.
OK, so does the one on my cubicle-neighbor's desk. I didn't see it earlier, because I foolishly looked for "Exhibit 110.3" in the vicinity of "Article 110.3." It appears about five pages later. Thanks for pointing it out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
charlie b said:
OK, so does the one on my cubicle-neighbor's desk. I didn't see it earlier, because I foolishly looked for "Exhibit 110.3" in the vicinity of "Article 110.3." It appears about five pages later. Thanks for pointing it out.

It does seem out of place or at least should be numbered differently IMO.

Roger

celtic

It would certainly be more convenient for the pictures to correlate to the article/section....but then again, the NEC states:
...is not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service....
Why would the NECH be any different :D

steelersman

Paul B said:
Thanks for the replies guys but you are missing the point. The cooper recepts have a hole next to the ground screw, which you insert the wire and wrap around the screw. So if you insert the wire in the hole and go clockwise, you are actually wrapping the screw counterclockwise although you are wrapping it clockwise, you get it?
What in tarnations are you talking about?

steelersman

hbiss said:
I think Leviton has the same hole. You don't stick the wire through it, it's supposed to be used as a tool to bend the hook. Forget the hole, wrap the wire around the screw the usual way clockwise.

-Hal
yeah really man, it's so easy a caveman can do it.

iwire

Staff member
Paul B said:
Thanks for the replies guys but you are missing the point. The cooper recepts have a hole next to the ground screw, which you insert the wire and wrap around the screw. So if you insert the wire in the hole and go clockwise, you are actually wrapping the screw counterclockwise although you are wrapping it clockwise, you get it?

steelersman said:
What in tarnations are you talking about?

Paul B is absolutely correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.