Disconnect as a raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottN

Hello all, I am new to the site and have a question I could use help with.
I am asigned as the Electrical Inspector on an expansion Project at the plant I work at. There is an area where the contrator installed Disconnects at HVAC units and a receptacle at each disconnect. The pulled the Recpt. feed in with the AC feed in the same conduit, entered the disconnect and then took the recpt. circuit into a conduit nipple which goes to the recpt. box. In short, they used the disconnect as a raceway. In this allowed?. We are still on 2005 code here. I haven't found anything on it yet. Any help would be great.

Scott

charlie

ScottN said:
Hello all, I am new to the site and have a question I could use help with.
. . . they used the disconnect as a raceway. In this allowed . . .
Welcome to the forum, Scott.

No problem using the enclosure as a raceway as long as there is sufficient wiring room. Remember that the code is a permissive document, if it doesn't say that you can't, then you can. :smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I hear this all of the time in the field about not using a panel or disconnect as a raceway. Has this ever been part of the code?

ScottN

Thanx for the welcome guys and info.. I found in 404.3 (B), it says you can't unless it meets 312.8. Just found it myself. Again thanx for the super fast responce. This is a great tool. Appriciate you guys being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.