interlock kits for home generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was wondering if anyone is using the new home generator kits that install right in the existing panel. They make sure that the main and backfeed generator breacker cannot be on at the same time. They sure save time and money if they are allowed, no need for transfer switch. They also allow you to use whatever you like in your house if you have the right size generator

hillbilly

101010 said:
I was wondering if anyone is using the new home generator kits that install right in the existing panel. They make sure that the main and backfeed generator breacker cannot be on at the same time. They sure save time and money if they are allowed, no need for transfer switch. They also allow you to use whatever you like in your house if you have the right size generator

That sure sounds like a manual transfer switch...walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....
Is it listed?
steve

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
Who is the manufacturer

Who is the manufacturer

A lot of us would like to use such kits if they are listed for use. Who is the manufacturer??

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Circuit breaker manufacturers make the two pole breaker interlock kits. They are UL listed and out here, very popular. The gentran panel uses 15 ampere push button CB's and are not as common as they once where. Gentran is good on a retrofit.

ceknight

101010 said:
I was wondering if anyone is using the new home generator kits that install right in the existing panel. They make sure that the main and backfeed generator breacker cannot be on at the same time. They sure save time and money if they are allowed, no need for transfer switch.

I assume this is the beast you're talking about?

http://www.interlockkit.com/intro.html

Thats the ones Iam talking about. It says they are ul listed, just wondering if anybody is using them.They are not cheap .they cost 150.00 each But still alot cheaper than a transfer panel and the labor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sq D, makes their own kits for QO and Homeline panels.

Roger

paul

I don't like it. It's too easily defeated by removing the deadfront. It also modifies the exisisting deadfront, which could possibly void that UL listing.

ramdiesel3500

The power panel companies such as GE, square D , etc have their slide mechanisms attached beneath the cover to prevent the problem of dead front removal. I investigated the Interlockit product several months ago and their product is listed, but I do not understand what kind of listing it is. Appears to be a listing from a private laboratory of some kind. It appears to be quite a clever product that is pretty easy to install and would definitely be better than an extension cord with a generator plug on one end and a dryer plug on the other like I have seen so many times!

paul32

I don't see how installing a UL listed item would void the listing of the panel. For the dead front issue, what is to prevent someone from removing the cover and violating any manual transfer switch?

Does GE make one of these? I wasn't able to find it on their web site. I've seen Square D's, so would use that instead of this generic vendor.

Jim W in Tampa

I made my own for my CH panel.Would bought one had they been available.As long as it only permits one or the other to be in the on possition i think its safe.Only time a cover should be off is if an electrician is standing there.

JHarvey

Sq D kits

Sq D kits

roger said:
Sq D, makes their own kits for QO and Homeline panels.

Roger
I'm not sure about the Homeline varity, but at my previous job we used the ones for the QO panels by the hundreds in the signal house we built. We only used them in MLO panels and they worked great. You could only have one "main" in the on position at any time and you could lock it so neither could be on for service. I'm not sure if they make one for MCB panels or not, if they do they would save alot over a transfer switch.

JHarvey

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
ramdiesel3500 said:
I investigated the Interlockit product several months ago and their product is listed, but I do not understand what kind of listing it is. Appears to be a listing from a private laboratory of some kind.

Aren't all the qualified testing laboratories (UL, ETL, etc.) private?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
MEPanel030a.jpg

That's so simple it's brilliant.

For the $150 price tag, it better be durable. :)

paul

77401 said:
Uh Oh!! Not The UL Police!

:eek:

Obviously your state doesn't enforce the listing requirements in the same manner as mine. Last time we modified a deadfront, we had to have a field UL inspector come and pass it off before the AHJ would pass off the job.

kbsparky

i have used both the Square D and InterlockKits. The InterlockKits cost about 3 times as much as the Square D. They both work quite well.

Both mount on the dead-front, and the interlocking feature can be defeated by removal of the panel cover. But UL doesn't seem to think that this is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.