NM CABLE IN COMMERCIAL POLE BARN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUWired

Re: NM CABLE IN COMMERCIAL POLE BARN

Dreamsville,Article 547.5 lists wiring methods.; UF,NMC,copperSE cables,jacketedtype MCcable,and more raceways.
Rick

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Read 334.15.

Roger

RUWired

It was my understanding that if not listed in uses permitted, then it's not allowed.
Rick

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rick, in any event, 547 modifies 334 to specifically allow it, but the protection of the NM as spelled out in 334.15 would have to be followed.

Roger

RUWired

Roger, if this was allowed under types 3-4-5,it would have to fire rated?
Rick

dreamsville

That's how I see it Roger. It has a concrete floor and is not an agricultural/livestock building. As long as they are not servicing vehicles or washing down equipment/vehicles inside then NM cable is okay.

Regarding a good place to hang things; I know better then to string NM between studs/posts in exposed locations.

Thanks for the confirmation Roger.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

After reading both articles, I would say that NM-C could be used with proper protection but NM-B could not be used. I have never even seen NM-C and wonder how readily available it is. Just my opinion of course.

[ February 27, 2006, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: m73214 ]

RUWired

I have to say i don't run much romex,but when i read 334.10.Commercial pole barns/buildings would come under (3),other structures.Cables shall be concealed within walls,floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15 minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire rated assemblies.I can't see 334.15(A) as being acceptable.Unless the wiring is completly enclosed beneath a F.R barrier,(Ceilings included)romex can't be used.334.15(A) only applies to 334.10(1)-(2).Am i missing something?
Rick

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rick, Chapter 5 has modified / supplemented chapter 3. See Figure 90.3.

With this being the case you can forget 334.10 (modified) or just add this barn to the list of approved uses. (supplements)

Frank, you haven't seen some of the pole barns I have seen, they are as nice and dry as any building. Notice that in the definition of "Location Damp", the term "some barns" is used

Roger

[ February 28, 2006, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

benaround

Roger,

I'll have to take your word on that,I've only seen fairly small pole barns and a good rain would get every where. thanx

[ February 28, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: benaround ]

RUWired

Roger,Thanks for the reply.Upon further reading of 547.5(A),I read "or other cables or raceways suitable for the location".
Rick

throttlebody

Originally posted by dreamsville:
That's how I see it Roger. It has a concrete floor and is not an agricultural/livestock building.
[2002NEC]
547 is for Agricultural Buildings. This would not apply.
511 would apply since it is Commercial Storage.

pierre

The description of this building does not need reference to Article 511.

The OP calls the building a 'pole barn', but maybe he means a post and beam building - notice he says it is being used for storage only... storage of what, I am not sure. That being said, I do not think that Art 547 needs to be referenced either. If the building is being used for storage, I am not sure why it would be a wet or damp location either.

So... I say this is a standard storage building and we need to reference Art 334.

NMC is not commercially available, but could be special ordered.

NMB is really the only type of NM cable commercially available today. Depending on the type of construction would let us know if NM could be used - without that knowledge it is hard to say.

As far as hanging things from NM, I have seen things hung from AC and EMT as well with some pretty poor results. The wiring method is not the problem, the hangee is ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.