over the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsilkwood

im curious as to how many of you work over the road on a regular basis.
also do you guys get some sort of travel incentive.

we are out of town a couple months out of the year and we get a couple bucks more per hour plus hotel and per deum.

barbeer

They are letting you work aren't they?:wink: Incentive enough!

we are out of town a couple months out of the year and we get a couple bucks more per hour plus hotel and per deum.

I would feel lucky if I got extra money. Per diem is standard($20 a day usually), extra wage is not. But I really think the policies vary from one company to the next.

mattsilkwood

They are letting you work aren't they?:wink: Incentive enough!

I would feel lucky if I got extra money. Per diem is standard($20 a day usually), extra wage is not. But I really think the policies vary from one company to the next.
wow 20 bucks a day that would cost you money to work

In January, I had a job that was 135 miles away.

I paid the hotel costs, and filled up the fuel tank... that's it.
And you better have the truck on empty too if you wanted the best value.

Hey, I'm a small company, and like someone said: I'm letting you work.

Don't make me have to come down there!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
im curious as to how many of you work over the road on a regular basis.

last time i did traveling was for a shop that had work in
northern california.

got foreman's scale at the time, plus $75 cash a day per diem, plus a
gas credit card, plus 15 cents a mile for personal vehicle use.

that was fair market value in 1988.
with the per diem, it amounted to $80k in 6 months. lots of overtime.

randy

Mule

We work "out of town" (87 miles) two days a week, and we charge $75/day per diem, although we just lowered it to $60 as fuel cost has dropped...

ceb58

We work "out of town" (87 miles) two days a week, and we charge $75/day per diem, although we just lowered it to $60 as fuel cost has dropped...

Did they also drop your insurance premium and maintenance cost on your truck?
I remember your post on the subject. If the customer agreed to a flat $75.00 per day then that is what it would be regardless of drop in fuel cost. From your post I believe you to be a ethical person and can understand why you would drop your agreed on per diem cost. But that is what it is. An agreed on cost. If the fuel cost had gone the other way and you went back and ask for an increase the customer could agree and up the price or tell you that is the amount set and they were holding you to it. You would then have to make the decision to accept it or decline it and loose the work. Some times it's nice to have a little gravy on the potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.