Lum disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2005 NEC in Art 410.73 G, it stated that as of Jan 1, 2008 it would be required to (with double ended flourescents), when installing all new ballast in non dewlling units, some type of disconneting means is required that disconnects the ungrounded, and grounded conductors simultaneously (ie those little orange luminarie disconnects sold by Ideal). So even if you live in a state that hasn't adopted the 2008 NEC in whole, or only certain article changes, and is still working under the 2005, then would this still be a requirement when doing a lighting upgrade, or ballast replacement? Thanks Bill

raider1

Staff member
If you are installing a new fixture then you would need to have the disconnect. I don't feel that this requirement would apply when you are just changing out a ballast.

You would need to check with the AHJ to see if their rules are different.

For what it is worth I would just put in the disconnect and be done with it, they are inexpensive and easy to install. Then there is no question.:)

Chris

Inspector

Inspector

It would only be required on new installations in th earea that I work in. But all of the new fixtures installed now alreay have a disconnecting means in the fixtures.

Cavie

In the 2005 NEC in Art 410.73 G, it stated that as of Jan 1, 2008 it would be required to (with double ended flourescents), when installing all new ballast in non dewlling units, some type of disconneting means is required that disconnects the ungrounded, and grounded conductors simultaneously (ie those little orange luminarie disconnects sold by Ideal). So even if you live in a state that hasn't adopted the 2008 NEC in whole, or only certain article changes, and is still working under the 2005, then would this still be a requirement when doing a lighting upgrade, or ballast replacement? Thanks Bill

It has nothinig to do with the 2008 code. It is a 2005 requirement that went into effect in Jan 1, 2008.
The rest of the 2005 code went into effect when it was addopted by your local AHJ. There was another code # taking effect at the same time but I forget what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.