Underground cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

triniboy

Hi guys
Can someone give me the NEC stance on bringing cables from an underground trench to above ground cable tray network, we want to install covered fibreglass tray fixed into the trench and then extend it above ground to connect to the above ground tray work which is an aluminium tray network the tray will be covered totally from underground until 8' above ground which I think meets the code but I have been told that client states we are not meeting code with our installation can anybody help point out where I am going wrong here.
Triniboy

Hi guys
Can someone give me the NEC stance on bringing cables from an underground trench to above ground cable tray network, we want to install covered fibreglass tray fixed into the trench and then extend it above ground to connect to the above ground tray work which is an aluminium tray network the tray will be covered totally from underground until 8' above ground which I think meets the code but I have been told that client states we are not meeting code with our installation can anybody help point out where I am going wrong here.
Triniboy

That would not be an NEC code violation, except the part where it prohibits tray cable installation wehre it is subject to physical damage, however the covered vertical riser take care of that. You may need to derate the cables if you cover the riser.

392.4 Uses Not Permitted.​
Cable tray systems shall not be
used in hoistways or where subject to severe physical damage.
Cable tray systems shall not be used in ducts, plenums,
and other air-handling spaces, except as permitted in
300.22, to support wiring methods recognized for use in

such spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.