Class 1, Division 2 LTFM conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Is the UL Flexible Metal Conduit Assembly, Liquid-tight (DXAS) the wiring method that 501.10(B)(2)(3) is referring to?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the one you cited would be suitable, but this is the more common one: DXHR Flexible Metal Conduit, Liquid-tight.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code says that liquid tight flexible metal conduit can be used in Class I, Divison 2 locations. The UL guide does not have to say that you can use it in the Classified area if the code itself says that you can.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
natfuelbill,
I wonder why UL doesn't describe the (DXHR) as suitable for use in certain hazardous locations"?
I don't know, but the UL Guide information doesn't describe rigid steel conduit as suitable for use in classified areas either.
Don

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Technically, Flexible Metal Conduit Assembly, Liquid-tight (DXAS) is a "fitting" and falls under 501.10(B)(3)(1) since it comes with the connectors preassembled. Note the UL Guide Information permits, but does not require, it to be ?liquid-tight.? It is analogous to Division 1 flexible fittings described in Conduit Fittings for Use in Hazardous Locations (EBNV)

?Common? Flexible Metal Conduit, Liquid-tight (DXHR) falls under 501.10(B)(3)(3) and ?Common? Flexible Metal Conduit (DWWY) falls under 501.10(B)(3)(2).

In the latter two cases, it is the appropriate installation with listed connecters that make the total assembly suitable for Division 2. Don is correct that neither of them are required to be listed for Division 2. In fact, for a long time Flexible Metal Conduit wasn?t required to be listed at all ? even in Division 2 applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.