pull the permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

GC is asking all the subs if we can pull the permits for the work on a recreation center that is being built ground up. it is in addition to work that is already in progress on an apartment complex and is going to be a separate contract. Any one know why they would prefer this and the pros and cons of doing it. something doesnt smell right. :confused: TIA

mdshunk

I pull my own permits anyhow, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is he trying to avoid an overall building permit, and just get the sub trades permitted, as if they were doing a big service call?

normbac

no worries then I never pull the permit on a new structure so it was new to me normally here anyway the permit is part of an overall permit to build

quogueelectric

Could be the gc is not getting paid and wants to get a stop work order to make the owner move. The banks will not tolerate much nonsence with thier money.

normbac

Could be the gc is not getting paid and wants to get a stop work order to make the owner move. The banks will not tolerate much nonsence with thier money.
no actually it was taken by the bank court appointed receiver wants invoice on 1st and 15th they pay on time every time nice :grin:

ceb58

no worries then I never pull the permit on a new structure so it was new to me normally here anyway the permit is part of an overall permit to build

I am the same with new construction. The GC pulls and pays for all permits. That way that is less money I have tied up in the job.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
GC is asking all the subs if we can pull the permits for the work on a recreation center that is being built ground up. it is in addition to work that is already in progress on an apartment complex and is going to be a separate contract. Any one know why they would prefer this and the pros and cons of doing it. something doesnt smell right. :confused: TIA

one thing comes to mind.... if they are on separate tickets, when one
finishes, and gets a sign off, the construction loan can convert or be
refinanced.... otherwise, you've got two buildings hung up over one
permit...... if i had a multiple structure project, i'd do it that way....

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
At times I have had GC's tell me they can not get their building permit until I get my electrical permit.

seems odd; i can't buy an electrical permit until a building permit has been purchased on a new structure.

ceb58 said:
I am the same with new construction. The GC pulls and pays for all permits. That way that is less money I have tied up in the job.

you don't need an electrical license to pull a permit?
what about inspections? if the GC buys it, can he call for the inspections?
That's the only real leverage I have for making sure I get paid; no money = no inspection

jrannis

It might get you closer to getting the job if you sign the permit. Have the GC pay the fees, you can always cancel it later.

r_merc

Depends on what jurisdiction I'm in, I am responsible for my permit one way or the other. In some they have the GC pay for all permit fees and I still have to submit an affa davit saying that I am responsible for the electrical work.

growler

I'm with Brant on this one, in Georgia this idea of the GC to let the subs pull the permits would not work. The GC would have to submit a set of plans for approval and then get the building permit ( it's his job) then the subs sign in as the licensed trades.

I don't think this GC knows what he is talking about. I have never been anywhere that there were seperate permits pulled for new construction the subs always come in under the prime contractor.

I would check with the local authorities to see if the will allow something like this but my quess is that they will not ( it could turn out to be a real mess).

ivsenroute

For new construction whether residential or commercial, there is only one permit (other than zoning, sewer, etc) for the all of the construction trades.

Everyone knows there is going to be a footing inspection, foundation inspection, framing inspection, electrical-plumbing-mechanical rough and final along with energy and overall final inspection to issue a C of O.

Commercial jobs obviously have more inspections in stages for all trades.

This way you only have to track one permit and one person of responsibility.

Multiple permits make no sense for new construction IMO or in any other jurisdiction that I am familiar with.

You need to ask the GC "WHY?"

ceb58

you don't need an electrical license to pull a permit?
what about inspections? if the GC buys it, can he call for the inspections?
That's the only real leverage I have for making sure I get paid; no money = no inspection

Originally Posted by ceb58
I am the same with new construction. The GC pulls and pays for all permits. That way that is less money I have tied up in the job

There are only two contractors that I do this for. I have signed a statement with the inspections dept. stating that xxxxxx builders or xxxxxx construction can pull and pay for elect. permits in my name with my license number. At any time I can revoke this statement and I must renew the statement yearly. The reason I do this for them is #1 I do all their work #2 I have never had any problem with payments and #3 I have known them for a long time, we trust each other and it saves me the time and trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.