Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the circumstances in which a Grounding Conductor is allowed, other than at the service?

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't understand the question. Are you talking about "Grounding Electrode Conductors? If so, you can attach a wire to any piece of metal in the building, and run it out to a ground rod. But you don't need to, and it probably wouldn't do any good. May I ask what is the reason for the question?

charlie b said:
I don't understand the question. Are you talking about "Grounding Electrode Conductors? If so, you can attach a wire to any piece of metal in the building, and run it out to a ground rod. But you don't need to, and it probably wouldn't do any good. May I ask what is the reason for the question?
Yes. I was having a conversation with a JW at work, and he mentioned that there where times where he had seen, that the ground had more than one connection from the service. It was my understanding that there can only be one Grounding conductor from the service according to code. I'm a bit baffled by his comment as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
BATMAN2007 said:
Yes. I was having a conversation with a JW at work, and he mentioned that there where times where he had seen, that the ground had more than one connection from the service. It was my understanding that there can only be one Grounding conductor from the service according to code. I'm a bit baffled by his comment as well.

I think that you're confused. There can be multiple GEC's. But a service should have only one grounded conductor.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
infinity said:
I think that you're confused. There can be multiple GEC's. But a service should have only one grounded conductor.
Don't forget about service rated transfer switches Trevor. Although only one is used at any given moment, there is more than one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
chris kennedy said:
Don't forget about service rated transfer switches Trevor. Although only one is used at any given moment, there is more than one.

I guess that you're right. I wasn't thinking about a service with a service rated transfer switch, actually I've never even installed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.