Hot Tub - underground wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, today, we had an inspection for a hot tub.

We ran URD in a trench from the house panel to the hot tub disconnect. The inspector failed it saying that the hot tub is like a pool, and the wiring needs to be in conduit.

I'm a bit confused. I can't seem to understand that the wiring from the house to the disconnect needs to be in conduit. We did this back in August, without conduit, in URD, and had no trouble. All inspections passed with flying colors.

From the disconnect to the hot tub, I can see using conduit, but from the house to the disconnect, I don't...

Can I get some ideas here?

Thanks,
Greg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So, today, we had an inspection for a hot tub.

We ran URD in a trench from the house panel to the hot tub disconnect. The inspector failed it saying that the hot tub is like a pool, and the wiring needs to be in conduit.

I'm a bit confused. I can't seem to understand that the wiring from the house to the disconnect needs to be in conduit. We did this back in August, without conduit, in URD, and had no trouble. All inspections passed with flying colors.

From the disconnect to the hot tub, I can see using conduit, but from the house to the disconnect, I don't...

Can I get some ideas here?

Thanks,
Greg

Art. 680.42 directs you to parts I and II. Then read art. 680.21(A)(1)

Art. 680.42 directs you to parts I and II. Then read art. 680.21(A)(1)

680.21 Motors.

(A) Wiring Methods.
The wiring to a pool motor shall
comply with (A)(1) unless modified for specific circumstances
by (A)(2), (A)(3), (A)(4), or (A)(5).
(1) General.

The branch circuits for pool-associated motors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate
metal conduit, rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, reinforced
thermosetting resin conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the
location. Other wiring methods and materials shall be permitted
in specific locations or applications as covered in
this section. Any wiring method employed shall contain an
insulated copper equipment grounding conductor sized in
accordance with 250.122 but not smaller than 12 AWG

I agree. So, wouldn't that mean from the disconnect of the hot tub to the hot tub itself, not from the house to the disconnect?
Wouldn't the wire before the hot tub disconnect be considered a branch to a sub-panel? (or something like that?)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Greg I thought you used urd from the panel to the disco-- I believe that is an outdoor installation-- at least I hope so. :D

It just says outdoor installation part 680.42(C) talks about interior to the outdoors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well, we installed conduit, and the inspector passed it.

Thanks everyone.

(I still don't think we should have had to do it! - Evidence or not)

Greg

Greg I believe the reason for the conduit is to ensure that the EGC is protected to avoid loss of the ground to the hot tub.

Curious did you install a bonding grid around the tub?

Greg I believe the reason for the conduit is to ensure that the EGC is protected to avoid loss of the ground to the hot tub.

Curious did you install a bonding grid around the tub?
I guess that does make some sense. No we did not install a bonding grid. However, we did drive a ground rod at the disconnect. #6 bare copper to it.

The question about the disconnect that I have not seen asked is;
Is the disconnect fused or nonfused?
The disconnect is a factory supplied fused (read: circuit breakers) disconnect. 1 - 30A 2 pole GFCI, and 1 - 20A 2 pole GFCI

Sub-panels have overcurrent devices.
Sub-panels are supplied with feeders, not branch circuits.
Noted. Sorry for the poor terminology.

If you had gotten caught the first time then you would have known about it for this job.:smile::smile:
Shaddup! That's enough out of you! :wink:

Here's the kicker for the inspection today: Another electrical inspector came to inspect the job. He said... "I think you can use UF, on this without conduit."
At which point my on site Service Electrician corrected said inspector, and brought him to the "BOOK"

It really bugs me. I should not be pissed because I had to do something correctly, but had today's inspector looked at it... he would have "Ok'ed" it.

There is little "uniformity" between inspectors.

We passed, and that's all that matters.
Thank you everyone for your input.
Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.