NESC (National Electrical Safety Code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycotcskir

Local Utility installed their meter into a NEMA 3 CT cabinet dead center on the top. Utility contractors follow NESC.

Does anyone know if NESC even addresses this type of issue?

charlie

The NESC is a performance document. In other words, the NESC doesn't tell us how everything is to be done with a set of rules but it does tell us to ground everything. The cash register (meter) may be wired just about any way the serving electric utility desires to do it as long as it is not dangerous. The grounding is done to the neutral. This particular installation does not look dangerous to me. What do you have a question about? :-?

cycotcskir

The NESC is a performance document. In other words, the NESC doesn't tell us how everything is to be done with a set of rules but it does tell us to ground everything. The cash register (meter) may be wired just about any way the serving electric utility desires to do it as long as it is not dangerous. The grounding is done to the neutral. This particular installation does not look dangerous to me. What do you have a question about? :-?

Sorry for the delay, crazy meeting day at work.

My concern is 212 (A) - entering a cabinet in wet locations.

this installation is cut in the center on the top. I can reasonably see water leaking into the cabinet and causing corrosion, then perhaps more issues from there.

I don't think that it is an immediate hazard, but over time it could be. My comments to the installers about myers hubs or other sealing fittings were based on a concern for what may occur down the road. The owner of the building could feasibly have "down time" due to any problems, not to mention any personal injury that could happen. I know these are likely to never happen, but if I don't say something, I am potentially liable if something does happen. I have already had confirmation from the 2 different FM's that I am right. I just don't know if it violates NESC.

charlie

I wouldn't be concerned about it if the serving electric utility put O rings and sealing locknuts on the PVC nipple. In my opinion, that was not done and I would ask the serving electric utility what they were going to do about this error if it were not done. As I stated before, they do not have to follow the NEC but they are required to follow common sense. :smile:

cycotcskir

I wouldn't be concerned about it if the serving electric utility put O rings and sealing locknuts on the PVC nipple. In my opinion, that was not done and I would ask the serving electric utility what they were going to do about this error if it were not done. As I stated before, they do not have to follow the NEC but they are required to follow common sense. :smile:

You mean "uncommon sense"?!

Agreed. That is exactly my point. There is no O-ring, and no sealing lock-nut. Just the PVC and a regular lock-nut. Let's even put aside the debate about whether or not either of those methods are listed.

I spoke with and emailed the Project Coordinator/Designer/Manager (whatever his title is), and he said that he would check with the Metering Inspector. His response was "Looks good to me, I don't know what he has an issue with". He also reminded the other guy that they don't follow NEC.

The EC purchased the Cabinet, Installed the cabinet and needed to get the cabinet inspected according to the NEC.

My problem was that if the utility installs anything into "my" box, they must do it to "my" code. They essentially ruined the integrity of the box. If they had put the hole on the side... even all the way at the top on the side, I wouldn't have made an issue of it.

As I've said the Local Fire Marshal and the State FM agreed. I meet in person with the Metering Inspector next week. I don't know what good that'll do (unless he's bringing hired help to crack my knees). If you can't tell from the picture, getting your eyes 3' away won't help either.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.