What's wrong with this cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Looks to me like someone tried to fix a boo boo and the tape finally got sun rotted along with the piece of insulation they tried to slip under it.:cool:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Heat shrink tubing?

Could be heat shrink or black hose ( fuel or vacuum ) from the hardware or auto parts store, if this is a maintenance man repair I am certain it is not rated for electrical use :cool:

cycotcskir

I can't take credit for finding this. It was before I was here, the F.M. picked it up.

This was a neutral in a transformer that was loose. That is what cause
the bad wiring. The 'electrician' (cough, cough) used a piece of garden hose to re-insulate where the insulation had been damaged from the loose noodle.

He originally balked at the F.M. when confronted about bringing a new feed into the transformer then over the top of the guts to the lugs.

After opening it up, the F.M. saw the tape job, cut it open, and Bam! this is what he saw.

'that's a legit fix' the EC said.

90? day, transformer to feed the whole A/C for a hotel, and this guy now has to redo it.

I'm curious to see the listing on garden hose...

daleuger

I can't take credit for finding this. It was before I was here, the F.M. picked it up.

This was a neutral in a transformer that was loose. That is what cause
the bad wiring. The 'electrician' (cough, cough) used a piece of garden hose to re-insulate where the insulation had been damaged from the loose noodle.

He originally balked at the F.M. when confronted about bringing a new feed into the transformer then over the top of the guts to the lugs.

After opening it up, the F.M. saw the tape job, cut it open, and Bam! this is what he saw.

'that's a legit fix' the EC said.

90? day, transformer to feed the whole A/C for a hotel, and this guy now has to redo it.

I'm curious to see the listing on garden hose...

After work like that I don't think I'd give them a second go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.