what is an electrical inspectors job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Here is a document my building department recently posted regarding this issue:

Re: Changes to Building Department Requirements for Final Electrical Inspection

To Whom It May Concern:

Effective March 1st 2006, all buildings and structures will be required to have electrical utilities connected before Final Electrical Inspection. The following reasons are listed for this change:

1. To verify completed wiring is free from short circuits and from grounds other than as required or permitted in Article 250 per Section 110.7 of the 2002 NEC.

2. To verify the panelboard circuit directory correctly identifies the purpose or use of all branch circuit breakers per Section 408.4 of the 2002 NEC.

3. To verify ground-fault and arc-fault circuit protection of devices and outlets where required by the code per Section 210.8 and 210.12 of the 2002 NEC.

4. To verify proper operation of all required egress lighting per Section 210.70 of the 2002 NEC and Section 1006 of the 2004 Florida Building Code.

Please contact the Building Department if you have any questions on this matter.

dlhoule

bphgravity said:
Here is a document my building department recently posted regarding this issue:

Re: Changes to Building Department Requirements for Final Electrical Inspection

To Whom It May Concern:

Effective March 1st 2006, all buildings and structures will be required to have electrical utilities connected before Final Electrical Inspection. The following reasons are listed for this change:

1. To verify completed wiring is free from short circuits and from grounds other than as required or permitted in Article 250 per Section 110.7 of the 2002 NEC.

2. To verify the panelboard circuit directory correctly identifies the purpose or use of all branch circuit breakers per Section 408.4 of the 2002 NEC.

3. To verify ground-fault and arc-fault circuit protection of devices and outlets where required by the code per Section 210.8 and 210.12 of the 2002 NEC.

4. To verify proper operation of all required egress lighting per Section 210.70 of the 2002 NEC and Section 1006 of the 2004 Florida Building Code.

Please contact the Building Department if you have any questions on this matter.

What about the rest of the State? Seems I read or heard somewhere that the state was going to do that beginning June 1st.

dlhoule

In terms of light bulbs, when I first started our local POCO provided light bulbs for new homes and would exchange them on a 1 for 1 basis for the home owner.

A few years later a large chain store filed a lawsuit claiming they couldn't sell any light bulb because of this policy. They won suit and the consumer has been paying for it ever since.

I'll grant you they were pretty inexpensive bulbs and caused by to get cited for a non working fixture in hall way. I found it rather odd because the home 2 doors down wired by a different EC passed. Well, I was on a service call at that home 2 doors down. 3ways for basement stairs, stairs to 2nd floor, and hallway 3 ways were all wired incorrectly.

I got busted for a defective light bulb. :x

dlhoule said:
What about the rest of the State? Seems I read or heard somewhere that the state was going to do that beginning June 1st.

Indian River Co. will require power at Final starting July 1. I also agree 100% with the note posted in bphgravity's Building Dept. 110.7 just doesn't say enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.