User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor run in reverse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Motor run in reverse?

Someone care to break down the above post and explain it to me...beacuse I'm lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I'll take a shot!

Someone up there said something about "you should never connect a neutral to a motor".

I disagree. There are 120 volt motors connected to neutrals all over the place.

Then someone said something about "neutral" carries unbalanced current, otherwise it is only a grounded conductor. I can agree with that.

I was going to go to bed, but let me draw a picture... give me ten minutes. I'll be back.
    IBEW LU 716

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IBEW LU 716

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is exactly that. Symantic.

When there are only two wires present they, by themselves, behave exactly as if there is no neutral in the circuit.

On the other hand, if one of them is, in actuality, a neutral, if for any reason additional outside factors become introduced into the circuit then the fact that one of the conductors is a neutral will again have meaning.

Personally, the way I'm used to dealing with it is that the nature of the source is never ignored.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the above motor IS INDEED connected to the neutral of a multi-wire branch circuit and it is perfectly safe and legal.

All semantics aside!
    IBEW LU 716

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not a limb you're on Crossman, you've only stated the obvious.

I'm currently very interested in this topic. Can you find a more challenging example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thorry!

I was just interested in that "never connect a neutral to a motor" statement from up above. And I did not see a satisfactory answer so I brought it up again.

I'm happy now.

So what else would interest you about the subject?
    IBEW LU 716

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a neutral to me, but...maybe I Just am still lacking the understanding to know why that's not a neutral. What's a tap? I'm not too fimiliar with that word yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossman,

I'm just not happy with NEC conductor names all of a sudden and I'm sort of gathering perspectives on the issue.

It's mostly interesting where there's disagreement because that's where the language problems are.

It's not electrical theory, that works fine.

[ January 04, 2005, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by crossman:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the above motor IS INDEED connected to the neutral of a multi-wire branch circuit and it is perfectly safe and legal.

All semantics aside!
    Of course it is safe and legal and yes eventually it is connected to a neutral

I disagree with it being called a neutral in your drawing. A neutral caries only the imbalance between two or more ungrounded conductors.

In a two wire circuit there is no neutral, it is the grounded conductor.

Article 100
    Grounded Conductor. A system or circuit conductor that is intentionally grounded.
    You call it a neutral because it connects to the neutral bus. Well that neutral bus also connects to the grounding conductors and grounding electrodes.

Would we call that wire at the motor a grounding conductor? It is connected to the grounding conductors.

In causal conversation I would call it a neutral, in technical discussions like we have here on this board I call it the grounded conductor. At least until the NEC changes to bonded.

Sorry Sam.