What should i study most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to take test this year. Should i read the NEC allot? does the test come off as intensely detail specific or will common sense and logic guide me. I am a Journeyman who has been working with a master electrician for 6 years full time and 15 years through relation.

nunu161

If your familiar with the codebook id say read through it and take a couple practice exams off of mikes website

The Iceman

Going to take test this year. Should i read the NEC allot? does the test come off as intensely detail specific or will common sense and logic guide me. I am a Journeyman who has been working with a master electrician for 6 years full time and 15 years through relation.

What test are you taking? You said your a Journeyman is it the masters exam?

cadpoint

The forum's owner has a 10 question Code Quiz's for 2002 and 2005 NEC Code based questions and a journeyman's and a masters test that are all Free... plus all his other published materals.

Last edited:
I passed my test today and I was a little upset they didn't ask any question conduit fill other than chapter 9 annex C or well really anything hard it was just basic how long should you support a pip but they did question it a little more in directly! Don'T get me wrong they had other questions but nothing I needed to engineer a house feeder or overcurrent!!

ItsHot

A little of everything

A little of everything

"What should you study"? A little of everything! You need to know your way around and threw the NEC. If your exam permits materials, bring all the materials!! If they permit highliting, highlite your codebook!You don't want to burn time searching! Properly prepare yourself by studying and you'll pass!:smile:

nakulak

fork out the $1200 bucks for the mike holt dvds for the master test. its a good read, and the exam prep is excellent.

hardworkingstiff

If you are a good test taker and read quickly with comprehension, then the best thing you can do is to just be familiar with the organization of the code book. I've passed tests in 4 states and I've never had any formal instruction in the code (or electrical work for that matter). I think I'm a pretty good test taker.

If you aren't a good test taker then one of the prep classes for about $400 would be a good investment.

You should go through all of the examples in the back of the book (calculations) reading all of the referenced sections and know/understand how they came up with the answers.

There is nothing wrong with taking the test to get the feel for it and failing then you know what your getting into for the next one.

Good luck.

hardworkingstiff

One more tip for test taking. Don't take more than 2 minutes on a general code question. If you can't find the answer quickly, right down the question number and a few words to ID the question in your mind and move on to the next question. You will often find the answer to the question later when you are looking for an answer to a different question. Then it's easy to go back to the earlier question since you know which question number it was. It's not uncommon to have 10 unanswered questions as your going through the test.

frankgi

Mike Holts "NEC Exam Preparation 2008". Sort of an "Ugly's Electrical Reference" to the exam. You cant go wrong with it.

iaov

I bought a Snapz study guide. I think Mike H is connected to this stuff. I passed my Masters test on the first try.(Barely!!:smile:)Get intimately familiar with your code book.

miketrupower

If you are a good test taker and read quickly with comprehension, then the best thing you can do is to just be familiar with the organization of the code book. I've passed tests in 4 states and I've never had any formal instruction in the code (or electrical work for that matter). I think I'm a pretty good test taker.

If you aren't a good test taker then one of the prep classes for about $400 would be a good investment.

You should go through all of the examples in the back of the book (calculations) reading all of the referenced sections and know/understand how they came up with the answers.

There is nothing wrong with taking the test to get the feel for it and failing then you know what your getting into for the next one.

Good luck.

taking tests for me are the easy part however this seems like a different type of test. Can I highlight my nec code book

Status
Not open for further replies.