range outlet vs. dryer outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleeye

Is there a significant difference between appliance outlets for ranges and dryers. My client has purchased a condo built in 1998 in NC and the dryer outlet has 4 prongs, 3 vertical, 1 round. The GE appliance technician states that the installed dryer outlet is a range/outlet and must be replaced with an outlet with 3 vertical and 1 L-shaped prong.

My client has been instructed by a GE appliance tech to replace the outlet installed at the time of construction. He states that the outlet was intended for use to serve a range/oven and should not have been installed for the dryer due to a difference of 240V vs. 250V.

As a home inspector, we typically do not verify outlet design as it may relate to appliance application or ampacity or voltage. Should we?
I've always exchanged the appliance cords on the dryer with no regards to the differences.
I have found no reference to this in the IRC. Am I missing something?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The NEMA configuration for a 30 amp (dryer) receptacle will have the "L" shape slot. A 50 amp receptacle, common for ranges, will have the straight slot.
It is not uncommon to find a 50 on the dryer. Although not to Code, assuring proper overcurrent protection (for the conductor and equipment) should be the prime concern.

This site might help:
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/plugandreceptacleconfiguratio.htm

Last edited:

Cavie

Is there a significant difference between appliance outlets for ranges and dryers. My client has purchased a condo built in 1998 in NC and the dryer outlet has 4 prongs, 3 vertical, 1 round. The GE appliance technician states that the installed dryer outlet is a range/outlet and must be replaced with an outlet with 3 vertical and 1 L-shaped prong.

My client has been instructed by a GE appliance tech to replace the outlet installed at the time of construction. He states that the outlet was intended for use to serve a range/oven and should not have been installed for the dryer due to a difference of 240V vs. 250V.

As a home inspector, we typically do not verify outlet design as it may relate to appliance application or ampacity or voltage. Should we?
I've always exchanged the appliance cords on the dryer with no regards to the differences.
I have found no reference to this in the IRC. Am I missing something?

The issue is not the 240v vs 250v. The issue is dryer is 30 amp and range is 50 0r 60 amp. The dryer need to have a recptical with the L shaped ground not the round one.

It would be up to you and a HI to RECOMEND not TELL, that the wall outlet be changed to a 30a for safty reasons. We find that home owners change them out to allow them to use welders and generators.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The issue is dryer is 30 amp and range is 50 0r 60 amp. The dryer need to have a recptical with the L shaped ground not the round one.

The equipment ground pin is round on both 30 amp (dryer) and 50 amp (range) receptacles not L-shaped. A 4-wire dryer receptacle will have 2 slots (L1 & L2), 1 L-shaped (neutral) and 1 round hole (equipment ground). A 4-wire range receptacle will have 3 slots (L1, L2 & neutral), and 1 round hole (equipment ground).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree that it was probably changed out to accomidate something else other than a dryer and of course it would probably need to be changed if it is going to be used for a dryer.

Well I wrote that and then looked back and saw that it was a condo, but that still doesn't meant that it didn't get changed out for whatever reason.

Cavie

The equipment ground pin is round on both 30 amp (dryer) and 50 amp (range) receptacles not L-shaped. A 4-wire dryer receptacle will have 2 slots (L1 & L2), 1 L-shaped (neutral) and 1 round hole (equipment ground). A 4-wire range receptacle will have 3 slots (L1, L2 & neutral), and 1 round hole (equipment ground).

You are 100% correct. I had my thinking cap on wrong way round! I knew what I wanted to say but didn't say it right! Old age will do that to you. The L shaped vs stright blades was with the 3 wire cord. My point was that the issue was not the volts but the amps.

Ebow

I have seen the two in the wrong place on many new construction jobs (back when we had new residental construction). I always made it a point to tell anyone working with me that the one with the L went in the Laundry Room. Just this week I was doing a pre punch list trim walk through and sure enough the dryer outlet was in the kitchen and the range outlet was in the laundry room.
Some people just do not pay attention I guess.

Gene

Remember - Speed kills and its not always you.

Jim W in Tampa

I have seen the two in the wrong place on many new construction jobs (back when we had new residental construction). I always made it a point to tell anyone working with me that the one with the L went in the Laundry Room. Just this week I was doing a pre punch list trim walk through and sure enough the dryer outlet was in the kitchen and the range outlet was in the laundry room.

Gene

Remember - Speed kills and its not always you.

Your hiring idiots that can't even read ,SCARRY

480sparky

Maybe they pulled it out of the box upside down and said, "Nope... No 'L' on this one. It's got a '7' though....."
post-14105-1131311653.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.