NFPA 70e

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the table on nfpa 70e for voltages up to 240 (residential voltage) and if I understand it correctly, you have to have leather gloves on when turning on and off breakers EVEN if the covers are on?? it says its a Hazard risk catagory 0, and I look at what ppe you are suppose to have, it says hard hat, ear plugs, leather gloves.

Am I reading this right?? That seems a bit much just to turn on and off a breaker with the covers on and no exposure.

bobsherwood

I read it that way as well..... Better safe than sorry! It's not the way it was when I started but, why not make it safer??? Suit up, don't get hurt.

I read it that way as well..... Better safe than sorry! It's not the way it was when I started but, why not make it safer??? Suit up, don't get hurt.

Im just looking at it from a 'practical' stand point. Were talking about a 120/240 panel in a house. Not to mention in commercial 120/208. I remember it took some doing just get some guys to start using the lockout/tagout to not work hot. So now you telling me in just practical maintenance, when they go lockout a breaker on a 120/208 panel, they have to have on leather gloves, hard hat, EAR PLUGS etc. even with the covers on.

Dont get me wrong Im all for safety, (Im the first to say no if I think something is wrong) but in real world applications, Even the management do NOT have the guys go this far when locking out if the covers are on.

Im just curious, do any of you or any one else actually 'FOLLOW' nfpa 70e to the letter?? What about the leather gloves and ear plugs when turning on and off the breakers??

StephenSDH

Hard hat is not required by NFPA 70E for class 0 in the 2009. Leather gloves are listing as being optional. This leaves us with fully dressed, eye glasses, ear protection. I believe their goal is to get people in the practice of protecting your skin, eyes, and ears everyday, flipping breakers or not.

With that said I don't know a single company that fully follows the NFPA 70E by letter, but I know alot that say they do. I am sure there will be alot of angry posts following this.:)

View attachment 3613

highline

Are we saying that every person in an industrial plant that turns lights off and on at a good number of different locations is going to have to be told they need gloves ? Wouldn't this just be avoid contact ?

Hard hat is not required by NFPA 70E for class 0 in the 2009. Leather gloves are listing as being optional. This leaves us with fully dressed, eye glasses, ear protection. I believe their goal is to get people in the practice of protecting your skin, eyes, and ears everyday, flipping breakers or not.

With that said I don't know a single company that fully follows the NFPA 70E by letter, but I know alot that say they do. I am sure there will be alot of angry posts following this.:)

View attachment 3613

where is it listed in the 2009 nfpa 70e that its optional?? Also I agree about the comment of the nfpa 70e NOT being followed to the letter.

StephenSDH

Are we saying that every person in an industrial plant that turns lights off and on at a good number of different locations is going to have to be told they need gloves ? Wouldn't this just be avoid contact ?

where is it listed in the 2009 nfpa 70e that its optional?? Also I agree about the comment of the nfpa 70e NOT being followed to the letter.

For Class 0 leather gloves are listed as (AN) - As Needed (Optional)

View attachment 3614

For class 0 they don't require insulated gloves so they don't see it as a shock risk. They don't require FR clothing so they don't see it as an arc flash risk.

For Class 0 leather gloves are listed as (AN) - As Needed (Optional)

View attachment 3614

For class 0 they don't require insulated gloves so they don't see it as a shock risk. They don't require FR clothing so they don't see it as an arc flash risk.

ok
But what is real difference in AR= As required and SR=Selection required?? and what about Hearing protection, is that required or not, it doesnt seem to have a 'code' by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.