Bored

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Am I the only one sitting home today with nothing to do? Here in Mid MI. work for the small contractor has virtually dried up. Can't even see going out and trying to under bid the resi. guys who are doing the occassional house for $2.40 sq/ft. This is the worst I've seen it in 15 years, what am I doing wrong?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
voting :) (joking)
From reading here it appears, with few excpetions, your situation is, unfortunately, not unique. Hopefully you will be able to weather the storm.

nizak

The plus side is that in the last month I've taken care of every home maintenence project I've put off for the last 10 years. Only downside is that the pay sucks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yesterday I didn't have one inspection. I spent all day in the office typing lists and taping them to doors in the plan vault. That's what us highly trained, well paid professionals do.

Today I only have three inspections, a bathroom remodel, a 1200 sq ft TI, and a generator. Should take me all of an hour and a half, with travel time.:roll:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Am I the only one sitting home today with nothing to do? Here in Mid MI. work for the small contractor has virtually dried up. Can't even see going out and trying to under bid the resi. guys who are doing the occassional house for $2.40 sq/ft. This is the worst I've seen it in 15 years, what am I doing wrong?

It's no you at all. That's the way it is in Michigan. I haven't worked a real job since the end of February and probably won't catch a call until the beginning of the year and that will probably be in Indiana.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
under bid the resi. guys who are doing the occassional house for $2.40 sq/ft.

That's unbelievable. They must be working for $5.00 an hour. Same stuff going on here but not quite as extreme. I just bid a 2300 sq/ft house at $8700.00 and the general said he "liked" my bid:)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I hope you don't get paid by the job. ;)

Oh heck no, I'd starve to death. :grin:

Luckly I'm an hourly employee. It's that "duties as assigned" clause in my job description that keeps me busy. Someone mentioned it in a post awhile back, but I'd scrub the toilets if it would keep me working.:roll:

nizak

A/A, I don't know what you include as far as anything above "minimum code". I can truthfully tell you that we have several contractors who are doing Resi. work for 2.40-2.50/hr. This includes electric range, a/c, electric dryer and 200A U/G service. Granted most are cookie cutter houses that they've done several of, but still when you do the numbers their labor is being done at a ridiculous rate.Alot of these guys feel that if they keep gas in their trucks, the bills paid, and are able to go out to eat once a week it's a profitable business.I worry about foolish things like funding my retirement, paying my quarterly taxes, and havin $$$ available when the trucks need new tires, brakes, etc.

Dolfan

A/A, I don't know what you include as far as anything above "minimum code". I can truthfully tell you that we have several contractors who are doing Resi. work for 2.40-2.50/hr. This includes electric range, a/c, electric dryer and 200A U/G service. Granted most are cookie cutter houses that they've done several of, but still when you do the numbers their labor is being done at a ridiculous rate.Alot of these guys feel that if they keep gas in their trucks, the bills paid, and are able to go out to eat once a week it's a profitable business.I worry about foolish things like funding my retirement, paying my quarterly taxes, and havin $$$ available when the trucks need new tires, brakes, etc.

what about service work?

sii

I've heard from a lot of the smaller contractors around here (eastern Neb.) that they are swamped. I was talking about this with the rep from my supply house today and he said that is a result of the fact that big GC's who used to be married to a larger EC firm are now shopping those jobs around due to the economy and the smaller firms are now getting the work which formerly went to the big boys.

I have been jobhunting and have interviewed at a few small shops and several have told me they are busy as ever. My problem is that I have an EC license and everyone is looking for journeymen. There must be a thousand JM out there looking, I got beat out of a job today because I couldn't start TOMORROW. Guess I'm "over-qualified".:grin:

electricmanscott

I always get beat up for this but, if the choice is lowballing something just to break even and get the bills for the month paid vs stick to my guns and price it how it should be priced and NOT get the job........

Guess which way I'm going to go.

hardworkingstiff

I always get beat up for this but, if the choice is lowballing something just to break even and get the bills for the month paid vs stick to my guns and price it how it should be priced and NOT get the job........

Guess which way I'm going to go.

{waving hand in the air} OOH OOH, I know I know.

You WILL be working. Staying around, and taking what the market gives.:grin:

PetrosA

I agree that when you can at least break even or even make enough to go out once a week, taking that work is the only logical choice to make. I've been through a downward spiral in a business before - costs go up, street gets torn up, customers have nowhere to park, landlord decides to up the rent, etc etc till you don't have enough turnover to pay the bills and you close down to avoid huge debt. That was in a storefront business, and I would have given anything to be able to just lower my prices to get the customers back. At least in contracting you're somewhat in charge and not just at the mercy of fate.

TobyD

Here in Alabama work has slowed down form the normal.We can't get the prices for resi.work like we use too.But, there's still a good amount going on here.I haven't missed many days this year,but I have had to bid more jobs for a price qoute than ever before.We are having trouble with people low balling too.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've been busier in the last couple months than I was earlier in the year. I was about to call it quits and get a job last summer, but then I got some sort of weird arthritis in my foot. Then the economy tanked. Not really sure how I kept it together, but now I've got some business and I'm trying to grow off of that.

I've never been serious about making a full-time career. I make as much working 20 hours a week as an electrician as I was making working 60 hours a week as a restaurant manager.

Somebody mentioned Nebraska, I'd move there and get a job just for fun but I don't think I could live in Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.