need code section

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxanders

I am currently taking some tests and I run across a question that I am unable to reference. How do you calculate unfinished spaces in dwelling units that are adaptable for future use? What code section?:-?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you include the square footage in the calculation of general lighting loads (i.e., watts per square foot). I don't think there is anything else to it.

Welcome to the forum.

rxanders

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have reviewed 220.12 and it states not to calculate spaces "not adaptable for future use". On the other hand when I calculate those spaces at the 3w/sq.ft I'm not getting an answer that remotely comes up with any of the options shown.

raider1

Staff member
Is the question just on the lighting load calculation or is it a total dwelling unit calculation?

Try posting the entire question with your answer and work and we will try to help you out.

P.S. welcome to the forum.:)

Chris

rxanders

Withpout violating test protocols the main ingredients are
1. sq ft of house
2. bathrooms, detached garage
3. sq ft of unfinished space adaptable for future use
4. laundry
it makes no mention of sm appliance circuits,hvac,or any other loads.
answer = calculated load for service

Thanks again

rxanders

I have tried it with almost all of the combinations i could think of. I come closest when i include the small appliance,3/sq/ft unfinised and full laundry load. but i am still off. how does the detached garage calc? 220.12 states not to include garages, but their is another code section that requires their be general lighting in garages seperate or not. Am i not reading 210.52 (G) properly?

I appriciate the help and this is the best information I can give you. I just wanted to see if their was some other calculation for unfinised spaces that be other than the 3w/sq/ft.

Thanks all
when I get i will post it

Volta

Once the load for small appliance and lighting exceeds 3000 va, it does not need to be counted at 100%. The excess is greatly reduced. That is what you would see in 220.42.

rxanders

I do include the demand factors. Their just might be a part of the question I'm not getting. I'll see it again someday and will read it 4 times instead of 3:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have reviewed 220.12 and it states not to calculate spaces "not adaptable for future use". On the other hand when I calculate those spaces at the 3w/sq.ft I'm not getting an answer that remotely comes up with any of the options shown.

A crawl space would be an example of a space not adaptable for future use. I think any unfinished space that could be finished should be included.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
it makes no mention of sm appliance circuits,hvac,or any other loads.
You have to count the small appliance circuits, whether or not the question specifically calls them out. That is two circuits at 1500 VA each. You also have to include one laundry circuit at 1500 VA, but apparently that was included in the test question anyway. You would have to include the greater of the heating or air conditioning load, but if they do not give you any numbers they cannot expect you to make up your own numbers.

I would not include anything for the detached garage, at least not in a test question. As a design engineer, I would toss in a couple circuits as a minimum. But the NEC does not require providing power to a detached garage (no lights, no operable door, no receptacles, nothing). So I would not even include its square footage in the general lighting load.

Does any of this change your answer enough to get it closer to a test answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.