Anybody else drive a punch like this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a greenlee hydraulic punch driver, cost a bunch, pretty clumsy. Instead I've been using a Dewalt 18V 1/2" impact driver (like $100.00 bare tool) with tight fitting 1" socket. I can drive a 2" punch through a Hoffman box in 60 secs., a 3/4" even quicker. At first I thought it might be hard on the lead screw, this has not been the case. Done hundreds of holes no problem. Anyone else do this?

cadpoint

Darn it, that will be another tool, I can't E-bay for weeks... :grin:

With big pipe, one's got to have the big tools, I love em...

e57

I don't think - if well oiled that it would do any damage to the draw screw or cutter unless you were trying to go through something too thick, or stainless and too thick.... Remember this is hardened tool steel built for high pressure hydralics. While the presures have not changed to shock and vibration should also be well within the limits of what it could handle. Short of cross-threading - I don't think any damage could be done. But if you break one - let us know... That said I too have done it - with no problems - but switched hole cutting methods all together and have not used anything but a 3" punch only a few times in the last few years, anything smaller I have a carbide hole cutter for.

LEN-30878-500CHC-2T.jpg

Power Tech

I have a greenlee hydraulic punch driver, cost a bunch, pretty clumsy. Instead I've been using a Dewalt 18V 1/2" impact driver (like $100.00 bare tool) with tight fitting 1" socket. I can drive a 2" punch through a Hoffman box in 60 secs., a 3/4" even quicker. At first I thought it might be hard on the lead screw, this has not been the case. Done hundreds of holes no problem. Anyone else do this?

I did, it worked great for a wile and then the threads boogered up on the bolt. I should have used some WD-40. May be my own fault.

I like the Quick Draw. And the old manual ratchet screw type. Both Greenlee.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My help have used the Milwaukee impacts for a couple years for punches. I like the carbide hole cutters for 1/2 & 3/4 but now use a small impact for up to two inch.

We work on grain dryers & sometimes the ignitor (spark plug) rusts in after a few years. The small impacts work where most everthing but a cutting torch fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.