Line Side Load Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennis323

I cannot find anywhere in the code prpoer wiring procedures for wiring disconnects or Circuit breakers. I visited one of our facilities that had the load side wiring on the line side of a disconnect, which means when the disconnect is off the circuit is energized. I have searched the code book and cannot find anything on this subject.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This would be a manufacturers labeling issue, if a breaker or enclosure is not marked Line / Load it can be connected either way.

Click Here for an example from SQ D

Roger

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Although the disconnect is improperly wired, I don't see how it would allow current flow in the off position.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
m73214 said:
Although the disconnect is improperly wired, I don't see how it would allow current flow in the off position.

But a fused disconnect would have the fuses energized in the OFF position. It might be fun to stick your hand in there to change a fuse.;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
load-line

load-line

If it were a bladed disconnect, 404.6 would make it a violation, even though, as Trevor says,changing fuses would be interesting :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think I've ever seen a fusible disconnect that was not marked with Line and Load.

Roger

dlhoule

infinity said:
But a fused disconnect would have the fuses energized in the OFF position. It might be fun to stick your hand in there to change a fuse.;)

Have you ever tried that? I did something similar once, and believe me it wasn't fun for me. On the 92nd day of working a 12 hour shift; 10 minutes before quitting for day: I had my tools locked up and had to change 3 fuses to get a plating line back up and running. We always changed these fuse with the power on, because it saved a lot of down time on the machine. We normally used fuse pullers, but mine were locked up at the time. I wanted to get home. All I had to do was change 3 fuses and I was on my way home. I did get them changed, but not without getting one h*** of a poke from one of the fuses where I accidently touched the metal portion.

Do not take shortcuts.

Edited for spelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.