panic bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

if the installation of doors and hardware is in your contract, then I guess you are. Otherwise its somebody else.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Here the EI will enforce 110.26(C)(3), but the GC has them installed. FWIW, we put out an early heads up (RFI) if the hardware is not on the door schedule. Some times the EE and architect aren't on the same page and I don't need this to hold up my inspections.

raider1

Staff member
Hopefully this will be caught at plan review and the plans change to reflect the requirement on the door schedules and floor plans.

Chris

nhfire77

Panic bars are not always wired for anything, so it really doesn't matter who puts them it.

The fire department and building inspector has the authority over exit devices. If they are wired Power limted or line voltage the EI can inspect for proper installation, not whether or not they are there. Whether a panie bar has to be actually on a door is Building and Life Safety Code, not NEC.

The fire department is typically responsible for life safety related means of egress. Typically so is the building inspector.

What is the situation you are dealing with?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Are we talking about panic bars on an electrical room door? Then the answer is yes, either one might call it. If you are talking about panic bars for exiting, it will usually be the buiding inspector or fire inspector.

Now just as most guys think that combo inspectors don't know anything about electrical, don't assume that the electrical inspector doesn't know anything about building codes.

nhfire77

Are we talking about panic bars on an electrical room door? Then the answer is yes, either one might call it. If you are talking about panic bars for exiting, it will usually be the buiding inspector or fire inspector.

Now just as most guys think that combo inspectors don't know anything about electrical, don't assume that the electrical inspector doesn't know anything about building codes.

I didn't. Aside from an electrical room they would have no authority on crash bars, is what I should have said. The EI cant demand crash bars on the front doors, but he certainly can point it out to the owner, GC, EC, Fire Dept and Building Dept.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Are we talking about panic bars on an electrical room door? Then the answer is yes, either one might call it.

Since the OP posted this in the NEC section, I was assuming we were talking about electric rooms.:) This is a NEC issue.

110.26(C)(3) Personnel Doors.
Where equipment rated 1200 A or more that contains overcurrent devices, switching devices, or control devices is installed and there is a personnel door(s) intended for entrance to and egress from the working space less than 7.6 m (25 ft) from the nearest edge of the working space, the door(s) shall open in the direction of egress and be equipped with panic bars, pressure plates, or other devices that are normally latched but open under simple pressure.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I didn't. Aside from an electrical room they would have no authority on crash bars, is what I should have said. The EI cant demand crash bars on the front doors, but he certainly can point it out to the owner, GC, EC, Fire Dept and Building Dept.

I would as a rule agree with you, but many a time I will tell a contractor that he is going to need to do something and he can either wait until the inspector tells him to or do it before he's required to, though I would never write a correction notice on it.

nhfire77

I would as a rule agree with you, but many a time I will tell a contractor that he is going to need to do something and he can either wait until the inspector tells him to or do it before he's required to, though I would never write a correction notice on it.

I am totally Ok with that. In fact I would appreciate that as an EC. In fact if it saves me a headache I would thank you personally.

I just get a little spooked when inspectors try and overstep their bounds, or as a lot of threads here allude to, making up rules as they go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.