new garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question? I am installing a new 100 amp service for a detached garage. I am required to ground the panel the same as I do the meter base with a grounding rod? confused on the code thanks for the help

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
See Part III of Article 250 for grounding requirements for a structure supplied by a service.

Edit to add: I have closed your duplicate thread on this topic. Your first posts are subject to moderation before they will be visible to you. We appreciate your patience.

I have a question, before this goes too much further: what is your area of expertise?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwirehouses said:
Are you running a subpanel from the house? Bury #2 SER and bring the houses ground over on the forth conductor.
He would still have to drive a ground rod and have a main disco.

kbsparky

iwirehouses said:
Are you running a subpanel from the house? Bury #2 SER and bring the houses ground over on the forth conductor.
I do not think that burying SER cable is allowed.

We install #3 THHN/THWN in PVC conduit for such a project.

russ

With no water service in the building, the use of a ground rod(s) is standard procedure. You may have to install two at least six foot apart, (250.56) unless you can convince the inspector that one has less resistance to ground than 25 ohms.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
cbrentfly2002 said:
I have a question? I am installing a new 100 amp service for a detached garage. I am required to ground the panel the same as I do the meter base with a grounding rod? confused on the code thanks for the help
I am rereading your post and I am not sure what you really have nor what you are asking. Do you have a service on this detached garage, ie meter and panel or are you feeding the garage from the house panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
kbsparky said:
I do not think that burying SER cable is allowed.

We install #3 THHN/THWN in PVC conduit for such a project.
You are correct SER cannot be put underground. You could use USE instead of conduit. I also like to use conduit underground whenever possible.

lowryder88h

new garage

new garage

cbrentfly2002 said:

I'm asuuming its service is coming from the existing dwelling service. If so you would have to comply w/ NEC 2005 225.31, 225.36, 250.32(A), (B) (1), 250.53 (D) (2), 250.56

dnem

We don't need more info about the supply to this building to be able to say that 250.32(A) applies unless you fall under 250.32(A)X

dnem

Dennis Alwon said:
You are correct SER cannot be put underground. You could use USE instead of conduit. I also like to use conduit underground whenever possible.

If you're in a northern state and your horizontal run is above the frost line, the inspector will be looking at 300.5(F) & (J) if you go direct burial cable. . It's a situation that requires interpretation so ask the inspector before you do the install.

David

dnem

Just to clarify my last post.

300.5(F) & (J) apply to all runs not just those above the frost line. . My point was that direct burial runs above the frost line can be damaged by rocks in the ground during normal seasonal ground movement. . The required precautions might be different.

allenwayne

I will use USE for temp poles etc. As far as I am concerned if you dig a ditch once don`t dig it twice to replace USE.Spend the $$$ and run the pipe:)

iwirehouses

You can't run SER underground in PVC? Buy "bury", I mean bury conduit, as opposed to running lines through the air. I would never run anything underground without conduit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwirehouses said:
You can't run SER underground in PVC? Buy "bury", I mean bury conduit, as opposed to running lines through the air. I would never run anything underground without conduit.
Are you saying you can't sleeve SER in conduit if it is underground? I believe you can.

jwelectric

russ said:
With no water service in the building, the use of a ground rod(s) is standard procedure. You may have to install two at least six foot apart, (250.56) unless you can convince the inspector that one has less resistance to ground than 25 ohms.

Why?
There is no requirement found in 250.32 to install two rods it only referrs to 250.50

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
jwelectric said:
Why?
There is no requirement found in 250.32 to install two rods it only referrs to 250.50
Article 250.56 talks about 250.52(A)(2) thru (A)(7). My understanding is that if a ground rod is driven you need 25 ohms or less.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, so far...
  • Dennis Alwon 5
  • iwirehouses 4
  • dnem 3
  • kbsparky 1
  • allenwayne 1
  • jwelectric 1
  • russ 1
  • lowryder88h 1
...eight regulars didn't seem to notice my not-so-subtle "I think this could be a DIY post" comment in my reply (the first one to the thread). :D

Oh well.
joker.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.