license question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left the Chicago area about 4 years ago for a quieter, better life in southwest Missouri. I managed some of the largest projects in the Chicagoland area for over 15 years and have been a journey wireman for 37 years. Being a union electrician in the Chicago area requires no licensing at all. I work for myself here (wow, what a change for me!!) and the rural areas here do not require any licensing either. However, Springfield, MO requires a license within the city limits Journeyman or business electrician categories. While the test is administered by a testing company the city has to "approve" you for a specific test. My question/looking for advice is the city is looking for work history which I forwarded to them through 2006 then indicating I have been self-employed here since then. They claim that is not sufficient, that I need a history of work experience from a "company" ---Of course I responded but without getting into that what are all your thoughts?

Volta

You may need a letter or multiple letters from your former employer(s) or the companies you worked under from the Chicago area. With such a length of work history, there should be sufficient experience shown.

yes thanks--I submitted to the city, letters from my employer in Chicago indicating my work experience. That showed through 2006, then as I said I have been self-employed here since, thus I indicated that for 2006 through current. Oddly, the city claims they have not had a situation like this before and suggested the panel that approves the testing would not approve me. My response was, first,you have to be kidding that this situation has not happened before??? The journeyman test does me no good--I need the business test as I am a one man shop----this is not life or death as I can just continue doing as I am which is--I don't need a license anywhere around here less if I need to pull a permit within Springfield, MO city limits. I would like to have my license as many of my contacts have businesses in the city. I wonder what the union members do here---they maintain very little of the work here and from my experience in Chicago, many could not pass an exam if needed.

Volta

Did the panel state what the objection was? Is it the period of time from '06 to present? Our state wants "current" experience, they don't like a gap from the 'acceptable' experience to the date of application.

Or do they have trouble with the out-of-state work?

my past experience was exceptional to the panel (no issue with out of state) it's the self-employed for 4 years--they seem to be looking at these past 4 years almost as if they don't exist, then ignoring my previous 37 years of experience and training----?????---?? I don't get it except that they may be wanting to limit contractors

I can force them to yes or no my application to take the exam, but was looking for advice and opinions here--I have a wealth of experience managing large projects with large crews in an urban setting---I have no experience with this at all. Just running a shop here with me was an incredible learning experience---all new to me

Volta

Yeah, ignoring the 4 years, whether right or wrong, is not uncommon, but it has always been the 'current' experience clause that I haven't fully liked. I think you will have to pen a request asking for that requirement to be waived, and with the experience you have shown, that they can feel assured that you are still fufilling the training and work history they need to see.

Also, they may be convinced that while they do not need to recognize the intervening four years as acceptable experience, they can comfortably consider it as a reasonable filler for the time period, as you were staying current in the trade.

Maybe a letter or two from inspectors you've had recently would help too.

Cavie

Tax returns are a legal form of work experiance. Business records? Seperate business checking account? Letter from supply houses?

Volta

Tax returns are a legal form of work experiance. Business records? Seperate business checking account? Letter from supply houses?

Hard to imagine a 1040C or similar convincing a licensing board that you have relevant electrical experience with the training they desire.

Cavie

Hard to imagine a 1040C or similar convincing a licensing board that you have relevant electrical experience with the training they desire.

No desired training was mentioned. Proof of experiance since 2006 would be in the business and tax returns as proof of experiance. I have used this in Florida for verious testing as I was self employed for 10 years.

Volta

No, it wasn't mentioned. But IMO it was implied, otherwise the last four years could be counted. Tax returns show nothing of electrical experience, only business.

Cavie

No, it wasn't mentioned. But IMO it was implied, otherwise the last four years could be counted. Tax returns show nothing of electrical experience, only business.

That's the point. It shows them business experiance. That's 1/2 the batttle.

jnaas2

I had the same problem too, what I did was go to a meeting with the board and take letters from customers that I did work for thru the years in question and also I was lucky in one area, I had past employees sign letters that stated all the work we did thru the years. Best of luck, it took me 6 months to finally get approved

juptonstone

working in Springfield...

working in Springfield...

If you have the budget... have you considered getting letters of reference from current clients... then finding an attorney who is "in" with local government to present your case? If nothing else, lettersof reference may help to overturn the stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.