Feeder Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vod-Vil

In what situation would you tap a feeder?Is this rule used in worst case scenarios where a new feeder can't be installed?Can you give me some examples of when you have used this rule and for what purpose.

Volta

In what situation would you tap a feeder?Is this rule used in worst case scenarios where a new feeder can't be installed?Can you give me some examples of when you have used this rule and for what purpose.

Service point > [600 kcm] > meter base/ct cabinet > [600kcm] > 400 amp main disconnect / fuses > [3/0] > 200 amp disconnects / fuses.

SpiderMT

One example I can give you is recently we installed a new service at a hotel for a cell site. We tapped off of the utility side of the buss and installed a new 100A meter/disconnect about 10 feet away. This was a 3000A service and I ran #2's right off the buss for the new service. No new transformer from the utility required, saves alot of money and perfectly legal.

DARUSA

600 amp Serrvice Disconnect Switch /3 200 amps meters and DS for retail store!!!
Most of the time tap is the only way to don't violate the 6 SDS rule!!!!!( most of the time commercial jobs)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Another fairly common example, you have several pieces of machinery or motors, each needing a fusible disconnect and you mount these over a wireway bringing a feeder to the wireway and tapping to each disconnect.
Result for example 6 30 amp disconnects tapped from a 150 amp feeder
with #8s.

Status
Not open for further replies.