Panic Hardware Battery Storage rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

I can not seam to find any requirement for having a panic hardware for doors for a battery storage room (UPS) in the NEC, or any other code for that matter. Do you know of any such requirement?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I can not seam to find any requirement for having a panic hardware for doors for a battery storage room (UPS) in the NEC, or any other code for that matter. Do you know of any such requirement?

Don't think there is one, but nothing says that you can't install it. I know, I know, cost.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
How about IBC 1008.1.9?

I'm thinking a battery room might be considered a hazardous occupancy, or there might be switching or overcurrent devices rated 1200 amps or more.

Steve

cowboyjwc

Staff member
1008.1.9 only says that the doors shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware and I don't see in 307 of the IBC that battery rooms are listed under an H.

I think with the new sealed batteries that they are not near as dangerous as they used to be.

zog

Can't find my 450, grew legs I guess. But I did find it in the NFPA 70E, which I believe is the same verbage from 450.

Article 320.5(A)(1)(a) Doors. The battery room and enclosure doors shall open outward. The doors shall be equiped with quick release, quick opening hardware.

liverpool

Can't find my 450, grew legs I guess. But I did find it in the NFPA 70E, which I believe is the same verbage from 450.

Article 320.5(A)(1)(a) Doors. The battery room and enclosure doors shall open outward. The doors shall be equiped with quick release, quick opening hardware.

Thank you all. This was very helpful.

zog

I'm gonna have to dig through the NEC more and see what I can find. As an inspector I can't enforce 70e since we don't adopt it.

You don't have a choice.

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) issued the revised 2009 edition of NFPA 70E?: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace with an effective date of September 5, 2008.

It became enforceable by OSHA on that date.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You don't have a choice.

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) issued the revised 2009 edition of NFPA 70E?: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace with an effective date of September 5, 2008.

It became enforceable by OSHA on that date.

Again, might be enforceable by OSHA, but not by me. Unless it is specifically listed in our adoptions tables, we don't adopt it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I see, you are looking at it from an inspector of an installation view, not as an owner.

Yes. But I did ask the BO about this, and he said that I can write it up.

It would be like me walking past a 8' deep trench with two guys working in it with no shoring. I can actually shut down the job and would be more than remiss if I didn't.

I'm not quite sure how it all would hold up in court or under a hard fought argument, but he says we should still write up something like that.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think with the new sealed batteries that they are not near as dangerous as they used to be.

When he said "battery room", I assumed it was a room full of the old fashoned vented type batteries. I don't think its real clear one way or the other from the original post.

Anyhow, I completely agree - new sealed batteries are much safer.

I wonder if Zog's reference also apples to newer sealed batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.