Hospital Grade AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I typically do the same as the others have already mentioned, buy twisting the wire back around the sheath, this helps hold the antishort bushing in place. But I believe that it is also just fine to just cut the wire off and not do anything else with it.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

dcspector said:
With the new MCap and MCap HCF and the listed connectors just cut the #10al bond at the connector, no termination needed.

#10 ? we on same page ? What i been seeing with 12-
? is at best #14 and fragile takes care to not just break it

peter d

Jim W in Tampa said:
#10 ? we on same page ? What i been seeing with 12-
? is at best #14 and fragile takes care to not just break it

There is a newer MC cable from Southwire called "MC- All purpose" that does not contain a copper EGC, but rather an aluminum #10. It's listed as MC cable but installs like AC cable. The aluminum #10 is only a bond wire and you are supposed to cut it off, as the connector now provides the ground path (again, just like AC cable.)

I've never seen the stuff but it sounds pretty weird. I'd still like to try it out though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
peter d said:
Wow....that is amazing. They obviously had no clue what the bond wire actually does.

I agree. And if asked I wouldn't connect it to anything. I would just cut it off the same way I've been doing AC cable for the past 25 years.

dnem

Twoskinsoneman said:
I had this problem recently with a new tech. It was a little comical to see the little 16awg aluminum wire spliced to two 12awg stranded cu EGCs.

What wirenut did they use for that ? . Is it AL/CU combo approved ?

dnem

dcspector said:
With the new MCap and MCap HCF and the listed connectors just cut the #10al bond at the connector, no termination needed.

peter d said:
There is a newer MC cable from Southwire called "MC- All purpose" that does not contain a copper EGC, but rather an aluminum #10. It's listed as MC cable but installs like AC cable. The aluminum #10 is only a bond wire and you are supposed to cut it off, as the connector now provides the ground path (again, just like AC cable.)

I've never seen the stuff but it sounds pretty weird. I'd still like to try it out though.

I know there could be a whole thread debating if an unterminated AL wire provides a good enough and lasting ground path thru connectors, KOs, and compression inside the connector. . But I'm not going to go there. . UL did whatever they did and they didn't ask my opinion, so I'll leave it at that.

But I have a different question about the AP. . When you cut the ground short and then tighten it down inside the connector, doesn?t it drive the sharp cut edge into the insulation of the other wires ?

David

jetlag

Yellow for cu

Yellow for cu

Twoskinsoneman said:
HA! This was a new guy trying to help out. Actually using yellow butt-splice crimps.

The yellow butt splice say for cu conductors only, but I dont see why with the silver coat inside (prob not real silver) and so I use some of the other types. There is nothing wrong with the wire nuts rated for cu alu joint , except for the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.