emt used outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and another co-worker got into an disagreement on how to run emt on the outside of a residents house. My co-worker said that we had to use cowboys or minis what ever you want to can themon the outside. I said that we should use one hole straps because it would look nicer ...he quoted 300.6(D) I didnt have my code book but I was pretty sure that was for indoor ... I have since looked at it and im pretty sure im right ...what do you think ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here is the Article you posted:

300.6(D) Indoor Wet Locations. In portions of dairy processing facilities, laundries, canneries, and other indoor wet locations, and in locations where walls are frequently washed or where there are surfaces of absorbent materials, such as damp paper or wood, the entire wiring system, where installed exposed, including all boxes, fittings, raceways, and cable used therewith, shall be mounted so that there is at least a 6-mm (?-in.) airspace between it and the wall or supporting surface.
Exception: Nonmetallic raceways, boxes, and fittings shall be permitted to be installed without the airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile, or similar surface.
FPN: In general, areas where acids and alkali chemicals are handled and stored may present such corrosive conditions, particularly when wet or damp. Severe corrosive conditions may also be present in portions of meatpacking plants, tanneries, glue houses, and some stables; in installations immediately adjacent to a seashore and swimming pool areas; in areas where chemical deicers are used; and in storage cellars or rooms for hides, casings, fertilizer, salt, and bulk chemicals.

stickboy1375

Cooper Electrical said:
Me and another co-worker got into an disagreement on how to run emt on the outside of a residents house. My co-worker said that we had to use cowboys or minis( what ever you want to can them) on the outside. I said that we should use one hole straps because it would look nicer ...he quoted 300.6(D) I didnt have my code book but I was pretty sure that was a code for indoor use ... I have since looked at it and im pretty sure im right ...what do you think ?

300.6 (D) is for INDOOR wet location only... you are correct, I use 2 hole straps myself...

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One hole straps are ok but two hole straps hold-up much longer to wear & tear. We only use the one hole type when we are trying to hold tight against a trim board etc.

paul

I'm in agreement with Jim. While code-worthy without mini's, I would rather use them to keep the EMT away from anything that can hold moisture against it. But I would also use PVC before I would use EMT outside of a home most of the time.

chevyx92

Jim W in Tampa said:
On a residence i would rather see pvc
Why because of cost or just a personal preference?

Jim W in Tampa said:
but if its emt i see problem with couplings and woul use mini unles your willing to offset
Why would there be a problem with couplings? And when did offseting become an issue when running emt? :confused:

Jim W in Tampa

chevyx92 said:
Why because of cost or just a personal preference?

Why would there be a problem with couplings? And when did offseting become an issue when running emt? :confused:
Just how will you deal with compression couplings ? NNot thinking cost just looks

eric stromberg

bkludecke said:
One hole straps are ok but two hole straps hold-up much longer to wear & tear. We only use the one hole type when we are trying to hold tight against a trim board etc.

I use the one-hole straps, with backing plates, on masonary (outdoors). Haven't had a problem with them. But i'm also talking rigid here.

Oops. Never mind. The original post was concerning EMT. I caught myself off-topic and have chastised myself. :grin:

stickboy1375

Jim W in Tampa said:
Just how will you deal with compression couplings ? NNot thinking cost just looks

Not much uglier than a set screw coupling now is it?

CCP-100(1).jpg

$2.27 for 2" conduit
SSCP-100(1).jpg

$1.50 for 2" conduit

I like the looks of the compression fitting... :)

chevyx92

Minuteman said:
Have you ever seen rusted EMT? - YES

Have you ever seen rusted PVC? - NO
Ever seen what heat from the sun does to pvc over a long period of time? Especially if its a horizontal run? It can get real ugly.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that Jim's point about the couplings is when using compression couplings (required outside) and supports that do not space the conduit away from the surface, the coupling will force the conduit away from the wall at that point making a job that does not look good.
Don

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with not using PVC and yes it will turn brown if the sun gets to it.

As for the EMT compression couplings, yes they can be a pain, but the other thing is that many of them are not listed for wet location. Though that may have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.