Failed Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

raider1 said:
Why wouldn't they be legal on bare solid copper?

Chris

I don't know...I guess it all depends on the manufacturers ratings and instructions....let me go to Arlington's website, get some info and stop guessing:D

mdshunk

More images of the "Kenny Clamp":

kennyclamp4.jpg

kennyclamp3.jpg

kennyclamp2.jpg

kennyclamp1.jpg

donselectric

i have used romex and plastic connectors and never had a prob
i have seen the 3/8" ko in most panels punched out and the
#8 or 4 run through it to the gr bar...i never bothered anyone about it
as long as it was stapled. hell i've done it too. :wink:

frank_n

I spoke to the inspector today and he said the "Kenny Clamp" is required as of March 1. I wonder why NJ didn't send out letters of this new requirement. Is it possible that it is the municipality?

Frank

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Maybe so, but I fail to see the requirement that a single conductor requires a connector of any sort.

I thought that's what the 1/4" holes in the panels were for....your GEC. No connector needed.

M. D.

emahler,
:smile: I think some might say

"installation instructions are merely suggestions , If you can cram it in ,..it can take it . Can you proooove those instructions were part of the listing and labeling Hmmm.. well can you ?,...Hugh can you??? can you?? were you in the room when the tested this thing HmmMM???.

110.3(b) don't mean a fig if you can't come up with the certifing documents and prove the instructions were contemplated as part of the listing process so get over yourself ."

or some such thing.

disclaimer
The above was an attempt at humor ,... no animals were hurt in the act of typing and I hope none were hurt in the reading ,...:smile:

emahler

M. D. said:
emahler,

The above was an attempt at humor ,... no animals were hurt in the act of typing and I hope none were hurt in the reading ,...:smile:

and luckily no humor was even in the vicinity of this horrific train wreck :D j/k

emahler

frank_n said:
I spoke to the inspector today and he said the "Kenny Clamp" is required as of March 1. I wonder why NJ didn't send out letters of this new requirement. Is it possible that it is the municipality?

Frank

Frank, what town? I'm in Colts Neck, we work throughout Monmouth, I haven't had it required anywhere yet...but we never use bare solid either...

M. D.

Really ?? I laughed while typing it ,... that should have tipped me off I guess . Oh well

Hey Marc do you use those kenny clamp things .?

I seem to recall reading info. on panelboards that advertised the 1/4 spcifically for the GEC

mdshunk

M. D. said:
Hey Marc do you use those kenny clamp things .?
Sometimes, but not because I think they're required. I just think they look cool. When I work over the border into Maryland, they seem to want to require them. Here's one coming out of a CT can I did:

HPIM0633.jpg

mdshunk

They cost about 5 bucks. When you hold one in your hand, you'll wonder why they're only 5 bucks. They are quite the chunk of brass. They have a bit of weight to them, and they are highly machined. It's a really nice piece, even if not expressly required.

frank_n

emahler said:
Frank, what town? I'm in Colts Neck, we work throughout Monmouth, I haven't had it required anywhere yet...but we never use bare solid either...

Edison, NJ. I am using #4 stranded. The guy at Cooper Electric told me that they are flying off the shelf.

benaround

Just curious, are the kenny clamp for solid, bare, copper only. Are they

required for ALL GEC's , such as 250kcmil Al. . If not I would think that would

blow a big hole in the requirement.

Side note: on post 25, the bottom of the clamp says ' patern pending ' can

a municapality make you install something that has not even been patterned

yet??

celtic

charlie b said:
My apologies. I missed that statement in your earlier post. By citing that particular code article, it seemed to me that you and Mike were confirming the Inspector?s position.

I can't speak for Mike, but my intentions were just the OPPOSITE of what the EI stated :)

No apology neccessary...just happy to see your back in your right mind :D

celtic

frank_n said:

I just had a final on Thurs. 9/28 ...no mention of Kenny at all.

I can't see it being a local amendment as NJ does not allow that....they are Statewide.

I'll have to do some digging to see what I find in regards to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.